Chapter 34 - The light in darkness

Rick's POV

"No. I  have never been in love with her. And Vittoria, she isn't my daughter; she is Angela and Domenico's daughter. Angela has already been pregnant, but we found out about it later," I stated firmly.

"Is it true? Don't you lie to me because of what doctor said?" Vanessa asked warily.

"No, I swear. There is nothing between us. We ended it before I left Sicily. We are just friends," I reassured her, giving her a warm smile as I held her hand. "I just love you, amore mio," I confessed honestly, looking Vanessa in the eyes. "I am sorry for everything I did to you. Please forgive me." I added, giving her a begging look.

"Will you give me my Rick back then?" she asked softly. "I can only give a chance to my Rick, the light in darkness, not you, a man lost in darkness."

I looked away, heaving a loud sigh, and ran my hand through my hair. "That light disappeared when he lost you," I commented sadly.

"But you found me again," Vanessa reminded hopefully.

"I am not sure if I can give you what you want, Nessa. I have changed. More correctly, I returned to my past self." I sighed sadly.

"Rick, you just hide the man, who I fell in love with, deep in your heart. It is in your hands to give my Rick back to me," she said softly and gave me a tender smile.

"I will try for you then. I don't want to lose you again, amore mio. I love you so much," I admitted sincerely and placed a soft kiss on her palm, sitting beside her.

"I love you, Rick." She gave me a warm smile and hugged me. I hugged her back and placed a soft kiss on her neck.

***

"Did your mother like me?" Vanessa asked nervously, leaning against my chest while we were lying in the bed.

Today my parents visited us and we had dinner together. It was the first time when my mother met Vanessa.

"Of course. How not to love you?!" I replied and bit my lower lip seductively.

"Rick." She smiled shyly and shook her head.

I rested my hand on her belly after placing a soft kiss on her hair. "Daddy loves Mommy so much, Alessio," I said softly, stroking her belly tenderly.

"I love you too." Vanessa cupped my cheek and placed a chaste kiss on my lips. Then she rested her hand on top of mine on her belly. "I am relieved that the risk passed, and our Alessio is fine."

"So do I. I was barely breathing while we were waiting for the obstetrician in the hospital this morning," I admitted honestly.

When I woke up the following morning, Vanessa was sleeping in my arms peacefully, resting her head on my bare chest. I smiled happily and caressed her silky hair gently. I enjoyed waking up to this beautiful view every morning.

This woman was my light in my dark world. When I thought she played with my feelings, I lost that light which I found in New York after running away from my past.

After finding out the truth, this goddess brought that light back to me. Now I had hope for a happy future.

A few minutes later, my angel opened her eyes and looked up at me, giving me her dazzling smile.

"Good morning." She cupped my cheek, caressing it affectionately, and placed a soft kiss on my lips.

"Good morning, amore mio," I said warmly and kissed her passionately, holding her in my arms.

"Let's have breakfast at the café," I suggested, caressing her cheek tenderly.

"Yes, I am bored of staying home all day," she said happily, smiling. "Can we eat gelato as well?" she asked with shining eyes.