Chapter 28 - The dark angel

Vanessa's POV

He nodded and left after checking if someone was in the hallway or not.

I instantly went to the bathroom and started eating the sandwich. As soon as I finished eating, I went back to the room.

A few minutes later, the door opened and Mario walked in. He frowned as he saw the tray.

"Why don't you eat? It is bad for the baby. You have to take care of your baby," he commented, concerned. "Ricky is worried about you too."

"For sure," I said mockingly.

Mario sighed and took a few steps towards me. "Believe me he really loves you, but he is angry at you because of what happened."

"I did everything to protect him," I said, desperate while trying to hold my tears back.

"He needs some time." Mario gave me a sympathetic look. "Do you need something?"

"Where is Rick? I want to talk to him."

"He is busy now," he replied, giving me a compassionate look.

I heaved a loud sigh in annoyance and walked towards the window.

"How long will I..." I didn't finish my sentence as I saw Rick and Rosa in the garden; they were kissing. I clenched my fist in frustration. Seeing him with Rosa was unbearable. "Yes, I see your boss is so busy," I commented sarcastically and pointed to the window with a head gesture.

Mario walked towards me and looked down through the window.

"How... How long are they dating?" I asked uneasily.

"They aren't." I gave him an unconvinced look, folding my arms over my chest. He sighed and resumed. "They were dating before Ricky ran away to New York. He broke up with her a few weeks later after his brother's death. But... she still loves him and..."

"They don't look like a couple who broke up."

"Let's say they aren't officially together." Mario rubbed his neck uncomfortably.

"I got it," I mumbled sadly and looked at Rick and Rosa again. Rick was telling her something hotly while she looked sad.

"She isn't a woman who gives up easily. So it is hard to Ricky to convince her that he doesn't want her."

"Of course, it will be hard for him. How can he convince her he doesn't want her if they kiss each other in every opportunity?" I commented in a sardonic tone.

"You have to eat something." Mario changed the subjects and pointed to the tray.

"No, I won't. Why does he want me to eat something this much? Is he planning to poison me?" I blurted out angrily while Rosa wrapped her arms around Rick's neck. I gritted my teeth and walked away from the window as seeing them sank my heart.

"What?! Rick would never try to kill you, Vanessa." Mario looked at me in disbelief.

"Maybe not killing me, but he could try to get rid of my baby," I said sadly and caressed my bump gently.

"Don't be ridiculous. Didn't you tell him it is his baby? Why did he do anything like this after it? And even if it wasn't his baby, he wouldn't do anything bad to the baby. Don't you know Ricky?!" he tried to assure me.

"He doesn't believe that the baby is his baby," I reminded sadly. "And I am not sure anymore that I know him."

Mario gave me a compassionate look. "Just give him some time," he said warmly and walked towards the vanity table. He grabbed the fork and took a few pieces of the fish and salad. Then he sipped the orange juice while I was looking at him, puzzled. "Look! If there was poison in them, I wouldn't taste them myself." He winked at me and left, leaving me alone.