Chapter 17 - The mistake

Rick's POV

When I left the nightclub, two Russian mafia members attacked me, using the opportunity that I was drunk and couldn't fight back. I knew their boss would sent them to kill me for revenge. Their leader's younger son killed my brother, and I made him pay for what he had done.

When they were about to kill me, Mario arrived in time and saved me, but he got shot in the fight. Fortunately, it wasn't so serious, and the doctor managed to save his life.

After that day, I knew if I didn't leave the country, I would make a lot of mistakes and put my loved ones' lives in danger. I told Angie about my decision and asked her to call me if she needed anything because I promised to her she could count on me. She tried to change my mind, but I was determined. Once Mario felt better and left the hospital, I left Sicily.

"I know you were beside yourself and most probably drunk. So I didn't ask you anything about it or argue with you. I forgave you. There is no problem between us, Ricky. So stop pushing me. I love you." She caressed my cheek tenderly.

I heaved a loud sigh, closing my eyes. "I am behind my words, Rosa. What I told you that day is true. I don't have feelings towards you. Moreover, I just want to leave the past behind me and stay away from that world," I stated firmly.

"While dating a mafia princess?" she asked sarcastically, folding her arms over her chest.

"How do you know?" I asked curiously, furrowing my eyebrows.

Yes, she could see our photo, but she couldn't know that Vanessa's father was a mafia leader. Did my father send her here to seduce me? So I went back to Sicily with him.

"I heard our fathers talking to each other," she informed me.

"It wasn't planned. I didn't know about her father before meeting her," I explained honestly.

"Now you know, but you are still with her," she commented smugly.

"Because I love her," I confessed sincerely.

Rosa gritted her teeth in frustration.

"Do you think your father will let you stay here with that girl?" she asked in a sardonic tone.

"I won't go back," I stated, determined and walked away without letting her say anything.

Vanessa's POV

"Where are you going?" Jack asked bossily, grabbing my arm when I was about to leave the mansion.

I was going to the university. A week later, my father finally let me go to the university and warned me not to try to escape from the bodyguards and meet up with Rick. So I asked Jasmine to help me to meet up with Rick at the university. I missed him so much. I looked forward to seeing him.

"It is none of your business," I replied dryly and opened the door.

He slammed the door and pushed me back against the door roughly. Then he grabbed my chin tightly and closed the distance between us.

"Are you going to meet up with that bastard?" Jack hissed.

"Let go of me! You are hurting me," I demanded, trying to push him back, but he didn't release me.

"You will dump him. Do you hear me? I don't want to see that bastard beside my fiancée. I won't let you disgrace me," he stated in an authoritative tone, sandwiching me between the door and himself.

"I won't. I love Rick," I refused firmly and tried to push him back.

"You little bitch! Don't mess up with me. You would regret it," he threatened me, tightening his grip around my chin. "I am giving you two days to break up with your bastard lover. Otherwise, I will kill him," he added and smirked devilishly.