Chapter 3

Kiyoomi was at least seven. He had been in Atsumu's class for a year, and he was not thrilled about it. Each time he was asked if he had befriended someone, his answer was always negative.

Either they were too loud, messy, dirty, or a crybaby, according to him, and really, the only person he was ever describing was Miya Fucking Atsumu. He never even tried to talk to anyone else because the elder Miya Twin was always there and he really had no reason to try harder if he wasn't trying in the first place.

Then one day, as Kiyoomi was diligently helping his Mother tidy their kitchen table after an evening of homework, the doorbell rang and both looked in the direction of the door in surprise. No one was supposed to be there and no one was supposed to go through the security before they were contacted.

"You stay here," Mrs Sakusa whispered, patting her son's head.

He obeyed but quickly ran behind the kitchen counter so he wouldn't be seen.

Slowly, his Mother pulled the door open, a chain lock holding it in place but the moment she noticed it was a child hardly older than her own son, she sighed in relief and opened the door fully.

"What're you doing here? How’d you get in?" She asked carefully, noticing his shirt was covered in mud.

"Oh. I was with Samu because he wanted ta visit Sunarin but then dumb Sunarin got mad at me because I told him his dino shirt was ugly and he pushed me. So I got mad but Samu said I wasn't allowed ta punch him so I kicked the fence in the back yard and it broke so I climbed through because it looked cool and now I'm here."

Mrs Sakusa grimaced a bit, unsure of what she was supposed to think. The neighbourhood behind her house was kind of considered the Hollywood of the slums because it was just a little better than some places and the people actually managed to keep the area tidy and in a joyful condition for children but it was still rundown in majority of the areas.

"Who's 'Samu' and 'Sunarin'?"

"Samu is my twin! I'm older though!" Atsumu stated proudly. "And Sunarin is Samu's best friend. But I think Samu thinks he's the only one who's allowed ta be his best friend because once, someone kissed Sunarin's cheek and Samu started cryin’ like a baby!"

The woman didn't know what to say. This child spoke without stopping and really, he was actually intriguing to listen to.

"That's, interesting?" Mrs Sakusa said slowly. 

"Yeah, it's funny. But I don't know why Samu thinks Sunarin is nice!" Atsumu said in frustration. "Once, that scrub made me eat a slug and- IS THAT OMI-OMI?!"

Mrs Sakusa turned to look at who Astumu was suddenly staring at, stars in his eyes and everything.

"NO!" Kiyoomi squeaked, rapidly pulling himself back behind the counter.

Atsumu didn't even wait for an invitation, simply inviting himself in as he tracked mud all over the pristine floor.

He peaked around the corner of the counter, instantly spotting the boy who was crouched into a little ball, black curls falling gracefully over his forehead, his forehead moles peaking out behind some hair.

"OMI-OMI! IT IS YOU!" Atsumu cried, clapping his hands in glee. "Missus, is Omi-Omi yer son?! Ya should've told me! Omi-Omi is my best friend!"

"No I'm not!" a tiny Kiyoomi cried, standing up to back away from Atsumu. "You're not my best friend! What’re you doing here?"

"Nothing much I guess. Just wanted ta visit you.”

Goddamn lies because Atsumu didn't even know that Kiyoomi lived there but it was those words that couldn’t have possibly shown how much it would impact someone like Omi-Omi, but it kind of did with the way he had casually answered with a lie and a shrug.

Really, that day should've told them exactly what sticking around Atsumu would be like because life only got weirder the longer they stuck together. That day, although strange, had made Kiyoomi’s parents excited that he actually did have a friend. A loud, dirty, messy, crybaby friend but a friend nonetheless.

All the negative factors he had stated were the reason he had no friends, were all proven that same night. Obviously, the loud and dirty part were seen the moment he arrived, and messy was seen when he begged to help one of the workers clean up and ended up strewing things across the house. Then the crybaby came out the moment he realized Mrs Sakusa had gotten in contact with his Mother and she was coming to get him. 

He had been dragged away while loudly declaring he'd visit Omi-Omi every time Samu wanted to visit stupid Sunarin, Mama Miya apologizing profusely while Osamu had looked unimpressed at his twin but in awe at the house. Mrs Sakusa had only waved her hand and said Atsumu was welcome at any time. That seemed to really calm down the crying child as he frantically nodded happily, no longer yelling his promises of ditching his twin and Suna.

Mayhaps it was that day that Kiyoomi started wondering why the hell he had started calling Atsumu, ‘Miya Number One’ because surely, he was the farthest thing from a number one but then again, he had only started using that term so that he didn’t have to use the twins’ first names and simply used Number One and Number Two. It made life easier but why did Atsumu just have to be Number One although it was obvious since he was the oldest? It seemed as if it was a spur-of-the-moment type of thing when he had been trying to figure out what to call them at a horribly young age but now that he was older, mayhaps his young mind was hinting for his future.

Presently, Kiyoomi stared at Miya Number One, weary of whether he wanted to believe the words or not. He did. He really did because sometimes, Astumu was nice to be around but he didn't want to admit that. Never in a million years. And as the blond sat with a wacky smile and Kiyoomi forced himself to focus on his client's hair, he really had no option but to force himself to believe that Atsumu was there like any other day.