Chapter Three

• • •

Gazing over at the city from the window seat, I down the remaining water from my goblet. The city was always busy at night, the distant, muffled honking from speeding drivers, city folks speed walking in an attempt to catch the subway, and my favorite--the well-lit buildings. They signified that there was a nightlife, one where businesses worked relentlessly, no matter the occasion.

Even if it was Christmas.

"Boss, I need your advice on this project." I tapped the Bluetooth in my right ear, my attention swiftly turning to the large, blue-tinted, glass skyscraper from across the buzzing street.

"Okay Tony, I will be right up." I halted the busty waitress who was handing me the menu and immediately arose from my seat. On exiting the small diner, I am instantly met with the annoying chiming of a certain Christmas Carol which I forgot the name of. I continue pacing down the street where I drown out the sounds of bells being rung and some guy in a red and white suit urging me to give back to the poor.

More?

I am certain that they can survive on what I've already given. I do not need to squander any more money on those in grates, they're not the ones with a company to run. And a huge one at that. Right on red, I make my way across the street with all the other city folks, checking my watch in the process. It just came to mind the new investors' business meeting was on its way, in merely 10 minutes. I pick up my pace, now walking through my company building.

"Morning Boss. " I heard an employee say, soon after dozens of heads poke out from behind the cubicles greeting me as well. I raise my hand to acknowledge them and continue making my way toward the elevator.

5 more minutes. I step inside, thankfully only one employee was inside as well. The elevator stops with a ding and I am greeted by a choir of employees, as the elevator doors slid open. I give them a short nod before exiting.

"Ah, boss there you are, this proje--". Tony emerged from a cubicle barely holding a heap of files as he rushed toward me.

"Just come with me." I walked on, Tony trying to catch up to my pace. I opened the translucent glass door of the board room and I immediately felt a few eyes fall on me. I compose myself as I walk my way up to the front of the long rectangular desk, centered in the room. I cleared my throat. "Hello Good morning everyone. " All 5 persons exchanged glances and nodded in acknowledgment.

"I've prepared a video presentation for you, this is the essence of Otah." I gestured toward the projector screen behind me. Tony scrambles to plug in the thumb drive and position the projector. Not long after, a video presentation is flickered onto the projector screen in a burst of colorful lights. When there is a quick flash of the Otah logo on the screen, I proudly announce. "Ladies and Gentlemen...Otah Vodka, "

I watched on as the scenes switched from a wild party crowd to all the liquor being finished and then the show stopper, Otah liquor came into view. An attractive, skimpily dressed young woman elegantly strutted her way through the party-goers and enthusiastically pumps her hand into the air, holding the liquor.

The whole crowd goes wild, her being the center of attention, she dragged a few looks from some important-looking people. One of which is an older-looking man clothed in a white tuxedo she eagerly pours him some of the vodka to which he wastes no time in gulping down. In the end, he gives her his glistening blue Lamborghini. She drives off, the old man bidding her farewell, a cheery smile dancing on her lips with a cloud of smoke trailing behind her which then consumes the entire screen.

The Otah Vodka then flashes across the screen, the signature logo announced in a smooth, sultry manner. "Awaken the true boss in you, with class choose Otah, the vodka with a fierce passion." With that, the screen goes blank and there is a sudden eruption of applauses and commendations.

So they liked what they saw.

I moved up to the front, taking a seat at the head of the table. They all nodded in agreement before exchanging looks. A short, round middle-aged man then stood up, greeting me with a smile, he shook my hand. "We've agreed to jump right on board with you, Mr. Phoenix." His grip was stern which told me he really meant business. With that, I gave a polite nod and handed them over to Tony, who took care of the legalities. I lightly straightened my black jacket and shifted my black tie a bit more to the center as I exited the board room.

What a day.

"That sure was something in there Boss, "

"You forget who you're dealing with sometimes I see?" I smirk satisfactorily.

"Ahh yes I forget, Mr. Stanley wanted you to look over some paper work."

Stanley? Been a while since we spoke.

"Sure."

"Right away sir. "

I retreated to the comfort of my padded leather chair and started scrolling on Instagram. Photos of my ex unsurprisingly resurfaced and even more so absurd were our old pictures. Why she kept them were beyond me. Skipping along, more news, golf tournament, some personal endorsements and--a new message.

Jess_talley: Why won't you answer my calls??

Jess_talley *typing... *

Jess_talley: I'm coming to see you today, we need to talk

Swallowing the urge to hurl the phone away I switch it off. The office phone suddenly cuts through the silence.

"Phoenix. "

"Mr.Phoenix sir, there's a lady here to see you"

Please don't be her.

"It's Miss Jessica. "

"Tell her I'll be right down. " I'll end this once and for all, she knows how I am, she was the one to breech the contract.

I rush out not long after, walking right past Tony with a fresh set of paper work.

"Sir--" I hold my hand up to stop him.

I also couldn't mistake all the silent creaking of the office cubicle chairs, employees barely containing themselves. It was like they hadn't seen me in years.

My hand reaches for the elevator button when suddenly my body collides with a small, soft figure.

"Oof--! "

I look down at the red head, the feature that striked me the most.

She was undeniably beautiful, her pale skin and innocent expression really made her even more so attractive.

But what was she doing here? Hopefully not another escort of Mr. Stanley.

"I'm sorry." I held out a hand to which she gently curled her delicate fingers around.

I don't have time for this. The last thing I need is another 'situation'.

"Tony, " I called and in a split second he was there.

"Take care of her, " I say within earshot, leaving the both of them.

***

A/N: Next Chapter will be Axel finishing up some--*business*.

XOXO

-killerbeanqxeen