Chapter Two

"Break a leg sweetie." I waved my parents goodbye as I made my way down the leaf-littered stone pavement. Through the corner of my eye I didn't miss the look of concern on my mom's face.

Sure we had 'baggage' but it was only right for us to move on. This is the most stable I've ever felt in a long while and I wasn't about to let some insecure thoughts ruin my life.

Besides... He can't get to us now, he's out of the picture.

With a screech the old coaster bus halted and I paused before getting in to flash them my most reassuring smile.

Dad seemed to be the only one convinced contrasting the look of deep thought next to mom. He gave her a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder as he returned a warm smile.

"Morning, " I mumbled before taking a seat. I found the little effort in replies comforting as I quickly sunk into some music, effectively distracting myself from the anxiety that crept in from my reality.

One that seemed impossible to suppress.

***

The ride was quite normal and I made it to the large glass corporate giant in record time. I really enjoyed being early, the slight sting of the cold morning found it's way to my pale skin through all three layers of clothes. I always felt the cold was necessary for success.

I drew my hands into my pockets as I took in the sight of the familiar blue glass sky scraper. Here goes.

Past the meticulously cleaned revolving doors were the buzzing of the reception area, it made the whole building feel alive, a breath of fresh air--normalcy.

"Welcome to Lee and Willis enterprises, may I take your coat m'lady?" I quickly complied, shrugging off my coat and mouthing a quick thank you.

I made my way to the perky brunette receptionist, her bright brown eyes politely welcoming me.

"Miss Franco, welcome, based on what I know, you're already familiar with the company. I expect you to conduct yourself accordingly. " she gave a tight lipped smile that didn't quite match her eyes this time. She also directed me to the fourth floor, briefly filled me in on where to go and what to expect.

"Mr. Stanley is quite short fused, so please stay on his good side." I nodded and thanked her before leaving.

I streamed into the elevator with a cluster of old suits all buried into some device, barely noticing the red head behind them.

This is perfect I thought.

They all parted but one, finally the elevator doors stopped on the fourth floor, the doors slid open which felt like an eternity. I took a deep breath in as my eyes landed on the mundane set up of the office. Soulless gray carpets with a splash of plain white cubicles all made to follow a line which lead to a large wooden encapsulated glass door.

The frosted kind, so much for workplace transparency. Very much gave 'soul-sucking'."Today is going to go great," I told myself. A lie.

"Ahem, " the short clean shaven old man grabbed my attention. His dark brown almond shaped eyes narrowed in curiosity.

"Good morning, "

"Good morning dear, you're here for that assistant position right?"

"Um sure?" He eyed me sharply, seemingly unpleased with my answer.

"Very well then, " he scoffed as if ridiculing me.

Should I be offended or worried?

"Right this way. " he led me straight to a small office way across the room from the most prominent one. It had a small white plate hanging from its wooden door, though this time with the glass see through.