Chapter 2

Francisca's POV

"I can't believe you're leaving" Jenny says.

I'm sitting in an ice cream place with my two best friends Jenny and Lori.

I've known Jenny and Lori since we were 13. Someone was picking on Jenny so I kind of, sort of got in between them and punched the kid who was making fun of her braces at the time.

Don't judge okay, Ivan always told me to stand up to bullies and I did and I'd do it again. Even if it got me in a lot if trouble with mom haha.

Jenny and Lori were already friends so I kind of just joined their group.

I just told them about Matt's new Job and us moving to New York in 4 days.

They're not taking it well.

"I was so excited to start our new year as sophomores together man" she frowns.

I smile sadly at her. "Yeah me too" I say. "We can still video chat like every day! And visit!" .

"But that's not gonna be the same" Jenny pouts.

"Honestly, as sad as I am that you're moving, I'm kind of excited for you" Lori says.

I raise my eyebrows urging her to explain, as Jenny turns to look at her.

"New York is a cool place, definitely more interesting than here that's for sure". She pauses "and... you might reunite with some interesting people too" she shrugs.

I tense. Of course I thought about how I was going to live so near to my family now but I guess i never really imagined that I could possibly see them again.

"New York is a pretty big city" I say. "So, I doubt that I'm going to see them" I chuckle nervously.

"You never know" Lori says.

Suddenly I feel like I might throw up, and I think the nervousness and how I'm feeling is showing on my face because Jenny grabs my hand.

"Don't stress okay, you're probably right" she says smiling slightly. "New York is pretty big".

"And you said you're gonna move to Brooklyn right? They live on the upper east side" Jenny continues.

"But would it really be that bad to see them again?" Lori asks. "You miss them, Fran. I know you do". She says. "Wouldn't seeing them again make you happy?".

I look at her.

"Thinking about seeing them again makes me anxious". I sigh " I just have no idea how that would go".

"If you do see them, it would go fine Fran, I'm sure they miss you as much as you miss them" Jenny says.

I smile at that possibility. God I really hope so.

Ivan's POV
I'm on my way home from a party right now. It's pretty late. My father is gonna kill me if he's not working late tonight.

I finally reach the house and open the door. It's quiet and dark, maybe dad is working late again. He's been working late for most nights since mom and Fran disappeared.

I reach the staircase when the lights suddenly turn on. And yup, dad is right there, he narrows his eyes at me and speaks. "Where have you been?" He asks, seemingly totally calm. I don't say anything.

"Where. Have. You. Been?" He repeats his question. Sounding a lot sterner now.

"At a party" I shrug.

"It's 3am, Ivan" he says.

"I didn't realize it was this late"

"Why haven't you been answering your phone?"he asks. "I've been calling and texting, I've even caught your brother texting you trying to warn you that I'm back".