Chapter 51

The Alpha of the Nightstalkers pack—Wayne—loved me? Was it hard to believe? Yes. There was no hesitation in him when he repeated the words to me and placed his lips against mine. I held my breath in and kept my eyes wide open while adjusting to what I had heard.

It couldn't be the mistake of my head.

Did he really?

My chin lifted as I parted my lips away from him. The tension grew thick between us—or inside me and suddenly, I didn't know what to say in return for his show of love.

"Oh," I slipped my eyes away from his. My cheeks burned and turned red. "Okay." My voice trembled slightly. I wasn't sure if it was what he wanted to hear but he seemed pleased with my response, so pleased that Wayne looked at me with the smile in his eyes instead of over his face.

"You don't have to say anything." He rubbed his thumb across my cheek.

I nodded, "Okay."

That's all?

We clothed ourselves a moment after and nothing else left our throats. I thought for a second that it could've been an accident mention of words. But twice? Wayne was in his right mind, he hadn't had anything to drink today and he was completely sober.

He bought me into his arms after having a change of sheets and draped the blanket over our bodies. The lights switched off, the room became dark and our breathings became low. I placed my hand against his bare chest and he pulled me in closer to his embrace.

His embrace. It was warm and sweet in every way. The thumping of his heart against my ears made my skin prickle. Only in a few minutes, he was asleep but I wasn't.

I was lost.

It was the surprise words that had snatched away my sleep and kept me thinking whether I loved him back or not. It was confusing. We never got together on the right foot. Our relationship was based on an agreement for weeks and the agreement clearly stated we couldn't fall for each other as that would interrupt and cause chaos in our unborn child's life.

But here I was.

With him, in his arms, shielded, protected, loved.

I wasn't sure what it was, the fact that no one had expressed their love to me or that someone was in love with me for the first time ever. The words continued to drench my sleep away and when my eyes found the outlines of Wayne, they never left.

He slept without any worry or tension over his face. He seemed relieved and relaxed. While I was shaken and in shock.

Did I love him?

Of course, I did.

I knew I was walking in the right path—for now but if something had to happen between us, it was going to affect our child's life and I couldn't let that happen. I had to be sure before I proceeded with anything, whether it was love or hate.

I closed my eyes and found sleep immediately after getting the answer I wanted.

When I woke up the next morning, Wayne was gone. His scent lingered over me as I stretched my arms across the bed, seeking for him but he was nowhere to be found. I inhaled in a quick breath before bringing myself off the bed.

After freshening up, I left his room and headed out to find him. The office was clear of his presence and so was the house. A few voices from the backyard crawled into my eyes and I followed them outside only to find a group of men constructing something over the backyard that had been untouched for years.

I couldn't quite tell what was happening but they were forming a sort of shed, covering the bright light leaving from the sun.

Why?

"Wayne," I called out his name after finding him standing next to one of the workers.

He turned and looked over his shoulders, "What are you doing here? Did you have breakfast?" He questioned, hurrying over to my side. Lips narrowed to my head as he planted a morning kiss.

"No," I shook my head. "Not yet. But what are you doing? I liked the garden and the flowers." I raised my hand, directing my fingers towards the beautiful flowers that had been growing and dying for years. It was the scent of the flowers that bloomed into the house every morning and awakened me.

"I know," He laughed. "No one is touching the garden. Just getting it enclosed for the week." His eyes squinted upon the glare of the sun as he took a look around before turning his attention back onto me.

Wrinkles creased over my forehead, "Why?"

"Because I want you to enjoy the beauty of the full moon without getting hurt in anyway." He replied, shocking me.

My mouth dropped, "What?" I had almost forgotten the full moon was literally days away. How did he even remember?

Strong, tanned arms hauled me in from my waist, "I don't want you to be scared off something that's so natural."

"Why would you do that?" My lashes flickered in confusion at what he was going to do for me. I did desire to see the full moon without going through the trauma of that night again but it was a risky move and even a glimpse of it was going to shake me for the night.

"I want to you help you, kitten. I want you to heal and get past the death of your father, to move on and to cherish the one night where your wolf would feel the happiest." He explained while firmly holding my waist in his muscled arms.

I had dreamed about it since Dad died—that for once I could face the full moon without having a panic attack and nightmares but it was hard, every time.

"What if something bad happens?" A sorrow gripped my voice as I spoke. I couldn't move past it. I had tried—a thousand times and nothing worked. At the end of the day, I was always curled up in the corner of my room, with Nora holding me as I shed tears and sobbed.

"Then I'll be right here, with you and I promise, I won't let you suffer alone." His arm tightened and he held my face while giving me his words. "Never again."

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr