Chapter 14 : Aggravated Stash

- So, if I'm summarizing correctly, El, you've known for years that Flavia has powers similar to those of the four Dukes?

Only the head of Gentem's Shield was sticking out of the water.

In times of crisis, it was often easiest to meet in the hot springs to have a quiet chat. This was how Flavia found herself facing the five Gentem Protectors, all naked except for a towel around her waist. Cara and Vera seemed to be used to it, not caring to reveal their anatomy. It had to be said that with the battles, their armors had sometimes been so shredded that they had found themselves naked among the demons. The same for Rainier and Lev. So, no need to make a fuss between them.

Flavia still preferred to keep her towel from her chest to her buttocks. She didn't know it, but Lev was grateful. He did not want his fellow soldiers to see her completely naked. This feeling of possessiveness disconcerted him a little, but he didn't question it further.

- Indeed, replied the Mage, wiggling his toes on the surface of the water.

-I'm intrigued, Rainier said, looking at the ceiling. I know we had other Protectors, back in the old days. But we have lost many of the Houses over time, for their powers no longer manifest. It's been so long that their existence has become a myth.

The Lance was sore all over. Landing on the ground standing on a dragon tended to damage ankles, knees and hips. The hot springs, at this moment, were a godsend for the Duke of Hastam.

-Always so well informed, my little Rainier, teased Eleazar.

-But he is right, Cara said. There was once talk of the Duchy of Arc, which lay to the west of my lands. Proof that it is not a myth, since Flavia is among us.

All eyes turned to the new Duchess of Clypeus. Almost immediately, Lev put a protective arm around her waist, while kissing her temple.

-Personally, I'm delighted. Because without it, who knows what would have happened on the battlefield today?

-I wasn't attacking your wife, Lev, laughs Cara. I'm just saying that we have proof in her person that these houses did exist. But, Flavia... I guess your sister knew about it too.

This time, all eyes converged on Vera. The latter, with her elbows resting on the edge of the pool, raised an eyebrow. Her long, wet black hair stuck to her skin, and if Flavia hadn't been preoccupied with the situation, she would have noticed El's gaze on the Gladia elder's firm chest. Nevertheless, it lasted only a brief moment, as if nothing had happened.

-What do you think? squeaked Vera. Of course I know about Flavia. I'm the one who ordered her to keep quiet.

-The same goes for me and King Oktar, sighed Eleazar dramatically. So young, and so temperamental, even then...

-The temperament has not changed, Lev sneered. As for the youth... Let's see your wrinkles, Vera?

He took the soap in the face, which made the Protectors laugh. Rainier was the first to calm down.

- Now, I know your father, both of you. Lev would agree with me that he's a dark bastard. But if he had known that a second daughter was a Protector, the whole kingdom would have known. I can only imagine that you made this decision to protect your sister, sparing her the battlefields, the politics and the manipulations. But... why didn't you tell us?

The two sisters looked at each other. Finally, Flavia nodded, before looking at Lev. It wasn't Rainier she should be talking to first. If anyone should know, it was him. But as she met his violet gaze, she felt her courage slip away.