Chapter 12 : The Modiste's Clerk

Their two-week wedding ball was fast approaching. The milliner returned quickly, with two assistants to carry the packages. Maeve was delighted to have such a good customer, especially since she had already gossiped about her altercation with Therese. She had to wonder what she would be able to witness this time.

The answer came neither from Therese nor from Flavia, but from Lev. The latter, allowed to walk, was working on the duchy's business when he heard that his wife had a fitting.

Since Flavia had done a lot of work during her early recovery, he signaled Gaston to take a break. Obviously, his wife was working on this kind of thing at Vera. So she had quickly taken over the paperwork, making his job considerably easier. According to his butler, she understood quickly and was much more efficient than him in this matter. He was delighted. He himself hated all that paperwork, which often gave him headaches after taking a beating on the battlefield. Besides, he just didn't like it. He was good at managing his men, watching over his land, getting along with his people. But all the administration was sucking the air out of him. If he could benefit from Flavia's expertise, it would be for the best.

In any case, his wife was in the middle of a fitting, and he intended to make the most of it. The lounge for this purpose was on this floor. Discreet as a shadow, he silently entered the room. He could not help but smile.

Standing on a small platform, in heels, stockings and underwear, his Duchess was resplendent. With her back to him, she could not see him. He leaned against the wall, arms crossed. She was talking about a dress, which obviously was too low-cut for her taste. The milliner was the first to see him. He would have made him sign to keep quiet, if she had not emitted an admiring squeak.

And shit.

Flavia immediately turned to him... To blush in the prettiest way.

- Say, Mr. Duke, she said, her fists on her hips. Aren't you supposed to be in charge of the duchy's affairs?

-Mmh, I have better things to do, he said with a big smile.

The milliner, all excited about the couple who were the talk of the town, was watching them with stars in her eyes. Lev would have kicked her out, if his wife hadn't said:

- Oh, so the rag business is more important than the duchy business, in your opinion?

Mmh, that he liked this small tone that she took to scold him, while she was in stockings and underwear, her white skin offered to his glance.

-Ah, my Duchess... All the rags that you touch are more important than the duchy, he declared with approaching, the glance plunged in his. But, I thought that we had said no to formal speaking?

He stopped at a hair's breadth from her, his hands in his pockets, a mutinous smile on his lips. Half-naked, his wife devoured him with her eyes.

-Being polite is still very useful in public.

-Ah, I see, said Lev, glancing at the milliner, who was blushing at the apollo. Out.

Stunned, Maeve took a few seconds before understanding. Then she left with her assistants and Bea, who giggled while leaving the room. Flavia raised an eyebrow, her hands still on her hips. With her heels on the platform, she was taller than him.

- You know this is going to be told to the whole company?

Grabbing her by the waist, Lev pulled her to him. At this height, he was right at her chest.