9. Akshat

A/N : Just a girl sitting infront of you asking you to forgive her for the delay in updating without any information. She knows it's lame but she was caught up with something else. Please do excuse her and enjoy the chapter ❤️

The celebrations to mark Akshat Mittal's twenty first birthday were in full swing. The holy fire burnt in the centre of the great hall where the puja to seek blessings for Akshat was being held.

However in Akshat's eyes this wasn't celebration. Wasting ghee by pouring it into the fire and then servants, clients, aquintances and business partners coming one by one to offer him horrible fake blessings. As if any of them cared about him. All they wanted, was the money their family had. Idiots. Akshat was sick of all the superficial drama since morning. When he became the head of the Mittal empire, he decided he would end all this nonsense.

Akshat knew even his father would've liked to do the same. He knew from the bored expression on his father's face as he sat next to the priest trying to look religious. But his mother wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

Heck, if his mother had not been around, his father would've built him a harem as a birthday gift, Akshat thought wryly.

But the humour quickly disappeared from his mind as he looked at his brother. The fool was dressed up like it was his own birthday. Akshat could never understand his brother's obsession for bright colours.

If asked, Bhaiya, bright colours depict the vibrance of your soul, the asshole would blabber something like a songwriter.

Behind Nakul, sat Samarth their personal tutor who had been teaching them for more than a decade now. The sight of the fifty something bachelor always pissed off Akshat.He had wondered not a few times whether Samarth had stayed unmarried because he was impotent. 

If anyone had asked Akshat's opinion, he would've told them that Samarth was fit only to wash the floor of some tavern. But unfortunately, his parents never asked him anything. Why, he couldn't understand. He was the most desirable, suave young man in Rewa. He had no doubt about it. Still, his parents sometimes treated him like he was a naughty child.

What was he to do with such a useless family! Akshat slapped his forehead. His mother's gaze caught him and she frowned. Akshat gave her an apologetic look. She shook her head and returned to her prayer position.

After another few horrendous hours, the puja ended, much to Akshat's relief. As everyone dispersed, Akshat feeling rebellious and reckless on turning twenty one, approached the chief priest who had conducted the puja with a glass in his hand. The priest expecting some money, looked at him appealingly. 

"Have this coconut water. Your throat must have gone dry, shouting nonsense since morning", Akshat told him with a straight face.

Laughing loudly, at the look of horror on the priest's face, Akshat marched out of the Mittal mansion feeling like a hero.

At the gates, stood a magnificent black stallion more beautiful and majestic than any horse ever seen in Rewa till then. It was a birthday gift from his father. Akshat strode forward, intending to jump on its back but right at that moment, two guards came from nowhere and blocked his way. Akshat rolled his eyes.

"Sahib you don't have permission to go out".

Just as Akshat was about to retort, he heard Nakul's voice behind him.

"Bhaiya, why did you talk to the priest like that? The poor man is in tears", Nakul protested.

"You shut up Nakul. Let the great holy man cry if he wants to", Akshat snapped. He turned to the guards and slapped both of them on their faces,"Bloody morons! Listen to me clearly. I am now twenty one. I can go wherever I want and do whatever I want. I am not bound by the feeble attempts of some low caste servants like you. Now get out of my way or pay the price".

"Bhaiya, where are you going?", Nakul asked immediately.

"Komolika's den, of course", Akshat shrugged, "All the ladies will be eager to see me", he winked.

Nakul looked revolted. "Bhaiya don't do this on your birthday. It is a sin to go to a house of pleasure on any day, let alone the day you were born".

"Chatter, chatter and more chatter", Akshat said irritably "Just mind your business, good boy. Go and chew our mother's slippers. And then both of you sit and do puja together".

"You will be hanged one day if you go on like this bhaiya", Nakul said sadly, "I don't want to witness that".

"Oh you don't have to worry about that little brother", Akshat said with a wide smile as he jumped up on his horse and kicked the saddle, "You see, if I hang, I'll make sure that you hang before me."

And he galloped away.

A/N : Hope you guys liked the chapter. Akshat is not a protagonist but he is pivotal and, it felt important to speak through his eyes at least once. Do let me know what you think ❤️