2. Nakul

A Week Later :

Nakul Mittal made his way through the marble corridors, feeling nervous. His mother had called him and she never called him unless she had to yell at him for something. The Mittal family ran a flourishing diamond business but no one in the house ever seemed happy about that or anything else for that matter.

Nakul was hoping he wasn't late when he bumped into a party of five people coming out from his father's garden.

There was a man who looked as old as his father but much more handsome, a woman who looked as old as his mother but much less prettier. And then there were three young girls.

The man saw Nakul staring at them and folded his hands, "Yashvant Thakur" he said with a smile.

Nakul was taken aback. Never before had an elder person folded their hands infront of him.

"Devoleena, this is Mittal's son", Yashvant said gesturing to Nakul. The older woman barely nodded. But the girls looked interested.

Nakul stared at the family. He looked at all the amount of jewellery and silk that adorned the older woman. This family too was clearly from the upper strata of the society like them. But the man seemed so humble unlike his own parents, who loved to announce ten times a day, that they ate in gold plates.

Nakul was aware of the girls staring at him. He was good looking, no doubt but he was cowardly as hell. He was sure that if he opened his mouth and said something, the girls would all lose their interest.

"We are just leaving after meeting your father. Sorry, but we have to go now. I hope we meet soon again", Yash said and clapped him on the shoulder. Nakul put on an unconcerned face and nodded.

The family made their way out. Nakul's eyes unwittingly fell on one of the girls. She was more subtly dressed than the other two but looked more beautiful than them. The only accessories on her were a pair of bangles on her hands and yellow flowers on her hair. She resembled her good looking father every inch. Nakul didn't miss that there was a tinge of sadness in both of their gazes.

At that very moment, the girl turned around and their eyes met for a brief second.

Nakul blushed and looked away.

He looked back through the corner of his eyes and saw that the girl had turned away too. But he was sure, she had blushed as well. She was now lagging behind the others.

"Vedika, walk faster dear", Yashvant chided her.

Nakul's heart leapt. He had found out her name. Vedika.

Feeling light headed, he went into a daze for a minute before remembering that he still had to go and meet his mother.

Nakul cursed and resumed walking. The woman was sure to yell longer for keeping her waiting.

Nakul wondered how his father coped with his mother. Perhaps, that was why he spent most of his time away from her.

He had large banquet halls, gardens and chambers inside their mansion where he entertained guests all the time. This included other rich men in Rewa, their relatives and even British officers. There were also some other guests who came just to entertain his father. Nakul had heard enough stories about his father's adultery escapades. His mother loved to pretend that she hadn't.

Now his older brother Akshat had taken after his father. He spent most of his nights caroussing and their mother went ballistic about it. Their tutors had lectured Akshat many times too but Akshat was not like Nakul. He did not care for rules and decorum. He just did what he wanted.

But as much as Akshat had his habits, Nakul couldn't help being in awe of him. His brother was fun to be with, adventurous and had interesting friends. He had a merciless heart but was that not the trait of a smart businessman?

There were also plenty of girls in Rewa who had an eye on Akshat. Nakul was more good looking but which girl would fall for a coward like him? Nakul was a dreamer and girls never fell in love with dreamers. They liked doers. Nakul was sure he would remain unmarried for life.

Between his uncaring father, overbearing mother and vile brother, Nakul always felt lost. He wished he had someone whom he could confide in and ask for opinions. Sometimes Nakul felt like it was just the Mittal mansion that stood together in one piece. The family living in it had long fallen apart.

Before he knew it, Nakul was standing infront of his mother and she had started shouting.

"One son is a rogue. The other is an idiot. All my siblings have only daughters and they are jealous of me because I have two sons. But what is the point when both are useless?", Sunaina Mittal shouted.

Nakul had heard these words a thousand times before. His mother's taunts had long ceased to hurt. He vaguely looked at the overflowing vases of marigolds that decorated his mother's chamber. His mind went to the flowers on the tresses of the girl he had seen in the verandah.

He couldn't remember whether they were marigolds. But he remembered the way the wind had played with her hair.

"Sahib, I am still talking to you. Look at me..not there", Sunaina snapped her fingers infront of him. Her eyes narrowed, "Wait a minute. Were you thinking of some girl?"

Nakul turned red. He shook his head violently.

Sunaina sucked in her breath, "Like father like son. One Kamadeva is enough for this mansion. At least, your father learnt to make money. But you are not good for that either. I heard you chickened out while speaking infront of your father's client today? The whole of Rewa will be laughing about the useless son of the Mittals".

"There were not many people in the office", Nakul muttered "Only the clients, abba and Raju chacha".

"Chacha. I'll pluck out your tongue", Sunaina stormed "Calling a servant, uncle! When will you start showing some spirit? And stop twiddling your thumbs. That's better. Now, tell me where is your brother?"

Nakul knew very well where his brother was. But what could he tell his mother?

"He..he has gone to Samarth's room. Samarth called him there to teach him about tax", Nakul said, mentally applauding himself for conjuring a lie so quickly. Their personal tutor, Samarth lived with them in the mansion and he was the only person who would be awake now.

Sunaina raised her eyebrows for a second but the surprise in her face was almost immediately replaced by sarcasm.

"I didn't know Akshat had so much interest in his studies that he would go to Samarth's room at this hour to learn. That too about tax! How am I supposed to believe this?"

"I don't know...that's what he told me", Nakul said.

"He has made a fool of you as usual", Sunaina snapped, her lips curving in disdain, "Go find him and bring him to me. If he really is with Samarth learning about tax, then I'm ready to sweep the streets from tomorrow".

Nakul nodded and ran out of the room.

But he did not go to find his brother. He went to the garden overlooking the bank of the river Bischya to sit and think about Vedika. His Vedika.