Chapter 40: Cam

"I don't get paid enough for this." I came in with two brown paper bags filled with lunch for the Mom and the girls.

"That may be true, but we appreciate you anyways." Phoebe winked, pulling me into a side hug.

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered.

I handed over the goods, and the girls scooped them up instantly. "Leave a croissant for me, please."

Sadie waved a hand in the air as they hurried on back.

Most of the appointments.

"You're quiet, Mom. What's up?"

Mom sighed, then looked up at me with a soft smile. "I think I'm tired. And slightly overwhelmed, but I couldn't be happier. Business is booming again, and I might need to hire some more help around here like a full-time front desk assistant and another hairstylist." Mom leaned back in the chair with her hands folded on her stomach. "And while the girls are good with haircuts, I bumped into a young man earlier this week who claimed to be an experienced barber, and he said he would love to be a part of this team. He emailed his resume, and it's nothing outstanding, but I'm willing to give him a chance because I had a good feeling about him."

I was still shocked at how things were looking up for us compared to the last few months.

I had doubted any of this would get better for a while, and I couldn't help but blame myself. I'd take it all back now. I send gratitude out into the universe on a daily.

"Running a successful business is in the St. James' DNA. We aren't destined to fail."

Mom belted out a cackle. "You sound like your Uncle."

I winked. "Come on, let go on back and eat. We could use a break. I'll flip the open sign to 'closed' for a bit." There were no appointments scheduled after 5 p.m. Maybe Mom could even lock up early, and we could have a movie night.

"That sounds nice." Mom stretched her hands above her head and then stood. She was about to say something more, but then two individuals strolled through the doors.

Mrs. Cambridge and Jason.

Mom and I wore matching expressions of confusion and disbelief.

"Hi, can I help you?" After a few seconds of all of our eyes staring at each other, I said.

"We would like to have a word with you both. We won't take up too much of your time. But if now isn't good for you, I'd like to schedule another time," Mrs. Cambridge said with her eyes on Mom.

Mom cleared her throat. "No. Now is fine." She offered a friendly smile. "Please step into my office. Cameron, lead the way."

I quietly obeyed.

In Mom's office, the Cambridges took a seat on the couch while Mom and I took the sofa chairs.

"There's no easy to say this. But I'll start with an apology." Mrs. Cambridge bowed her head. "I'm sorry for everything this family has put you and your loved ones through. We would like to give you the compensation you deserve from my ex-husband's actions." Emphasis on the "ex" bit. Mrs. Cambridge lifted her head and scooted to the edge of her seat. "I know it can't make up for the past, but I wish you would accept it." Her eyes went to me. "Both of you."

My arm swooped around Mom's shoulder.

"That won't be necessary. We don't need anything from you. We never have."

"I understand that. I applaud you for all your hard work and how you've managed to raise a son as a single mother. But I'm insisting you take this. I won't leave here without a 'yes.'"