Chapter 39: Summer

"Morning, sunshine," Cam said from his locker.

I ignored him, entering my combination and taking out my textbooks.

"Summer? Are you still mad?" I saw the wounded puppy dog look he gave me in my peripheral. "I know I screwed up, and...." The bell interrupted his little speech.

I slammed my locker shut and walked around him.

Cam followed close behind. I felt his body heat. "This isn't over," he whispered in my ear. "I didn't fight for us before, but that doesn't mean I won't do it now. I'll walk you to class."

I didn't say anything about that either. I'd let him sweat it out a bit.

Operation: "Taste of his own medicine" was in full swing. Let's see how long Cam would last with this treatment.

Cam passed me sticky notes with apologetic faces scribbled on them and sweet little sayings throughout the class.

One of them had lyrics to "You are my sunshine." I nearly lost it right there and gave in.

But I didn't, and I carried on with this act all the way to lunch.

I could see Cam getting agitated. His leg kept bouncing up and down as he stared at me. Being ignored by the person you cared about the most sucked, and I was evilly laughing on the inside.

"Did you two get into a fight?" Suho asked.

I shook my head. "Nope. I'm just not talking to him right now."

"That sounds an awful lot like a fight," Vance said. "I should know. Yesterday Kenny wasn't talking to me because I made a comment about how she had bad taste in guys. We went back and forth until she stopped talking to me altogether. See, fighting."

Kenny rolled her eyes and muttered something.

"Don't be like that," Vance said. "All I meant was they weren't on your level."

"Oh yeah, and you are?"

Vance slowly grinned, leaning into her as she leaned away. "Maybe."

Kenny's lips parted with an audible gasp.

Then Vance changed the subject, focusing back on Cam and me.

"I've been filled in, and I think you have every right to give him the cold shoulder, Summer."

"Dude!" Cam shouted. "You're supposed to be on my side."

Vance shrugged unapologetically.

"I don't like being out of the loop. Does this have anything to do with the event on Saturday?" Suho looked at everyone.

"We'll fill you in later." I patted his back.

After school, I hitched a ride with Rosie and Kenny.

Cam had swooped in from behind me and planted a kiss on my cheek. I hadn't expected that since he had asked to take me home first, and I declined.

But that kiss had me stuttering in shock until I ran off to Rosie's car.

"Are you really mad at him or just pretending?" Rosie asked, pulling from the curb.

"The second one." I grinned evilly.

"Oooh. She's making him grovel as she should. He's had it coming for a while now." Kenny would be the one to agree to my methods of torture.

Rosie looked like she felt a little bad, but then she said, "I understand. I would probably do the same. I think..."

"Nope. You're too nice to pull it off," Kenny told her, and Rosie proceeded to pout.