Chapter 8: Cam

I expected a text from Vance before the day was over.

Either he had seen the locker, or Summer had told him about it. Then again, it didn't have to be Summer. I was sure the whole school caught a glimpse of it before lunch.

Speaking of lunch, by the time I returned to my locker, it was sparkly clean. No evidence left behind.

I supposed I had Summer to thank for that, but Vance's "You're welcome" text made me believe otherwise.

Me: Thanks for what exactly?

I played dumb.

Vance: Having your back, duh. I don't expect a thank you, but Summer deserves one.

Me: ....

Vance: As expected, you're speechless. So I'll continue. Summer not only reported the locker incident to the principal, but she put on the sweetest smile for one of the janitors to get it cleaned up.

Vance: Your girl is something else.

I reread that sentence twice. Summer couldn't be anything like that to me.

Me: Not my girl.

Vance: Sure thing, bro. :)

I sent a minions gif with them rolling their eyes. I didn't wait for him to text back before tossing my phone onto my bed.

Summer. Summer. Summer.

I thought about her smile in my head when she peered up at me this morning and how my stupid heart rate picked up.

I didn't know how a simple "thank you" would suffice, but I couldn't ignore everything she's done.

"I have a surprise for you!" mom came barging into my room.

My thoughts of Summer would have to be put on hold for now.

Mom was still in her work attire, but her hair was in a lopsided messy bun, and her make-up has been washed off.

"I could have been naked." I folded my arms against my bare chest.

She mumbled a weak apology and then went back to her overly excited self. "Like I was saying, throw a shirt on and come outside!" she squealed, slamming the door behind her.

"Alright," I spoke to myself, grabbing a shirt out of my drawer and slipping it on.

Seconds later, I was walking out into the hall, "What's the fuss about?" I asked. I couldn't begin to guess what she was up to.

"In the garage!" Mom shouted.

I followed the sound of her voice, walked through the kitchen, and opened the door to the garage.

"TA DAAAAAA!" Mom sang loudly as she gestured wildly to the vehicle next to her.

I looked from the gunmetal grey jeep wrangler back to her. "You bought a new car?" I scratched at my temple in confusion.

Mom hadn't mentioned that she wanted a second car or that she was looking for one.

I admired it from afar. "It looks good." I leaned against the door frame.

She grinned. "Glad you think so." She tossed something at me, and I caught it.

It was the key with a silver turtle keychain hanging from it. "It's yours." She added.

I repeatedly blinked, thinking I must have heard her wrong. "Come again."

"It's yours, Cam. I bought it for you."