|Forty: Midnight Sky|

Theodore Clark's parents had always been wealthy. As an only child he was privately educated by the best tutors in both mortal and magical subjects. His knowledge of wizardry and the magic realm, as well as the mortal realm, was far more extensive than most. With his mother on the council and his father owning a private family business, he was well taken care of emotionally, physically and financially. Worries were far from his mind, and mischief was harmless, even if his best friend was the Vampire Prince. It was only as he grew older that he realised life was more complicated than his family and friends let on. His parents didn't warn him about love and life. Cassius didn't share the struggles and strains of his royal title, so now all of the newness was hitting Theo like one, big tidal wave.

As he moved further into Moonlight City, Theo kept his head ducked low. Though the streets were practically empty, he didn't want to risk being seen by anyone that could alert his parents of his whereabouts.

He was headed to the wolf's den, where he knew Dolphus would be waiting for him. A part of him felt sick, knowing he had to fill the wolf in on what had happened since they lost Cassius to the King. Theo hadn't been allowed to visit the twins in the manor, even though his mother was having regular meetings with the King. However, that was never a good sign. If the King opted to speak to the Magic Council, something drastic was about to happen that affected the entire realm.

He knocked on the den door, fist heavy on the wood.

It creaked as it swung open, revealing a wolf he didn't recognise. However, he nodded behind him, motioning for Theo to come in silently. Obliging, the wizard looked around the den he had only entered a handful of times.

But he found himself frozen in place as he came face to face with the alpha.

Sebastian's face was stone cold as he stared straight at Theo. The wizard's heart dropped to his stomach. Suddenly he was more nauseous than ever, and he had to swallow the acidic bile rising in his throat.

"Theodore Clark, what a surprise," Sebastian hummed. "Though not really. I take it you're here to attempt to clean up the Prince's mess." Theo knew he was referring to Nick, Sam's friend who was turned by one of Sebastian's wolves. It had ruined his life.

"I can leave." The wizard moved to turn around, however slammed into a hard body.

Dolphus.

Theo sighed with relief.

"Nick's outside," Dolphus told him, locking eyes with Sebastsian.

"The Prince doesn't know what he's doing," Sebastian called after them when they turned their backs, heading towards the courtyard. "I can already see where this is headed and it's dangerous. He's twenty years old."

"I don't have time for this argument," Theo responded calmly, swallowing thickly afterwards. If it weren't for the clenched fists by his sides, his hands would be shaking. He could feel magic sparking at his fingertips, but he felt useless now he knew how inferior his power was to almost anyone's. He wasn't a faerie; faerie magic was dark and wild. And he wasn't a vampire or werewolf; he had no strength or agility. Nor was he an angel, nor was he Sam, who was the most immortal being in the realm. "What his Royal Highness does has nothing to do with me."

Sebastian laughed. "This," he motioned between Theo and Dolphus, "makes me think otherwise."

"Whose side are you on?"

"Side?" Sebastian raised a curious brow. "I didn't realise there were any sides."

A war had been brewing for some time now. The war between vampires and angels had always been something that other magical creatures swept under the rug. It wasn't something that directly affected them. But now the two leaders of their species were craving more power, they wanted control over more than just their own kind, and were willing to use whatever and whoever they could to get it.