|Eighteen: Light Me Up|

A/N: I posted an important chapter just yesterday in case you missed it. I would really recommend reading that if you haven't. Enjoy :)

He raced down the street, seeing the sunset in the burnt orange sky as he tried to forget everything that just happened. If Cassius had any sense he would leave Sam alone and allow them both to move on with their lives. What Theo said hurt, but it was the truth. Vampires and angels couldn't be together, or be friends at all. It was dangerous for both of them and the wizard made it pretty clear how he felt about Sam. 

And although Celeste tried to defend him, it was obvious she thought the same thing. She just cared a little more about not hurting Cassius' feelings. 

Deep down he knew that Cassius' friends would never accept him, but they didn't even give him a chance. If he wanted to hurt the vampire, he would have by now since he had plenty of chances. Cassius always put himself in danger for Sam, and he hated that. He wished that he didn't like the vampire so much, because walking out of there was so hard. 

Seeing the hurt look on Cassius' face made his heart ache, but Theo was unfortunately right. If Sam wasn't the one to hurt him, then it was probable that his dad would be. They couldn't hide their friendship forever, especially since forever for them really was forever. And that was a long time to spend longing for someone he could never have. 

"Sam wait!" He heard someone yell, recognising the voice immediately. But the angel didn't turn around, knowing if he did then he would have to face what he left behind. However, the person he left behind was a vampire who caught up with him easily, parking himself in front of Sam so he couldn't walk away again. "You can't just leave now," Cassius told him. 

I don't want to leave, was what Sam wanted to say.

"I told you this was a mistake," Sam replied harshly, brushing past him. 

The wind was cold and icy, and he really wished he didn't have to act the same way. But he knew he had to be the tough one. Cassius would never leave. He was persistent, thinking with his heart and not his head. Sam wished he could do the same, but it could get them killed.

The vampire started walking alongside him, continuing his streak of persistence. A sigh escaped the blue-eyed boy's lips as he realised that Cassius wasn't going to leave him alone. His footsteps were heavy on the sidewalk and he had to keep his eyes on the floor, knowing he couldn't look at the vampire without feeling a familiar flutter in his heart. 

Every time Cassius even looked in his direction, butterflies erupted in his stomach. Sometimes he felt like a kid with a schoolgirl crush, but sometimes the emotions he felt with Cassius were too overwhelming to even comprehend. He hardly knew the Prince, but felt like he needed to protect him. 

"What was a mistake? Us hanging out?" Cassius laughed incredulously, grabbing Sam's hand to stop him from walking away. As soon as they touched, both of them felt the electricity that suddenly coursed through their veins, ignoring the sudden jolt that urged them to move closer to one another. 

It felt like there was always a magnet between them, pulling them together no matter how hard they tried to stay apart. 

"Yes, us hanging out," Sam stated. "It was a bad idea. It's going to get us in trouble." 

"No, you know that us being friends wouldn't get us in trouble. That's not illegal," Cassius reminded him, brushing his fingers over Sam's soft cheek. The angel practically purred into his touch, blinking slowly at him with his long lashes. Cassius' eyes danced around Sam's face, taking in every single beautiful feature. His freckles, his cheeks that were flushed from the cold, his deep, blue eyes, everything.