Ch 27: All over again

RECAP:

There was a chorus of shuffling as the judge enters and everybody stands up to greet him, and so does 'brina, trembling.

END OF RECAP

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Sabrina makes an effort at standing upright as she struggles to take it all in.

"Please be seated" The judge says and  she quickly sits down on her seat, her face burning.

This is even harder than I thought it would be. She thought to herself.

"I call your attention to the incident at hand. We'll start at everything that happened two years back when the victim had met the accused for the first time and the series of events that the victim claims to have suffered at the hands of the accused" announced the judge.

Sabrina could feel her heart racing at an uncontrollably fast pace.

The judge calls the first witness to the stand. Sabrina panicks as she is not the first one to testify. She saw her mother come forward and take her position behind the witness stand.

"Please state your name for the record"

"My name is Ellen Adams. I'm Sabrina's mother"

"What did you know about your daughter's relationship with this  young man?" The judge asks pointing at Jace.

"My daughter used to date him. It started back when she was a freshman"

"Did she ever tell you about something that might be going wrong in her relationship?" He asks.

"She didn't tell me any of that until recently".

"May the defendant please rise" says the judge.

Sabrina could see Jace standing up and looking straight at her.

She gulped nervously.

"Have you retained a lawyer?" The judge asks him.

"I do" he says and his lawyer stands up beside him.

"Very well. Would the attorney like to question the witness?" He asks.

"Yes, Your honour. I do in fact have some questions for her" he says.

"You may continue" the judge says.

"Well hello, Mrs. Adams. You said not too long ago that you knew nothing that might've been going south in your daughter's relationship with my client until recently" He says.

"Yes that's precisely what I said"

"Don't mind me asking, Mrs. Adams. But would you like to tell the court what kind of relationship you share with your daughter?" The attorney asks.

"Excuse me. What exactly do you mean?" Her mother asks.

"Please answer the question, Ma'am" he says.

"I share a loving relationship with my daughter. There's not a speck of complexities in what we have" she says.

"It's difficult for me to believe what you're saying, Mrs. Adams" he says.

"I don't get why it's so hard for you to believe that I love my daughter" says her mother.

"It's hard for me to believe that. Because if she actually shared a loving relationship with you, as you say, she wouldn't have hidden it for so long, would she?" says the attorney.

"It's cuz I was scared!" yells Sabrina.

"Objection, Your honour!" The attorney says.

"Objection granted. Speak when you're spoken to, Miss Adams" says the judge.