Chapter 54- Prince

1 day after the fight

The sun was hidden behind the clouds overhead as the group traveled back to the mainland city, all sporting wounds with the exemption of Eli and Aurum. They had to wait until Zeke regain his magicules to patch them up, while they weren't completely healed they would be able to move around.

Aurum's regeneration had kicked in as soon as Zeke managed to flush the drugs out of his system and it appeared as if Eli was granted some of his prowess through the bond, his stamina was completely replenished with a night's rest.

He currently walked beside Eli, his golden eyes surveying the area around them as they walked through the forest. He clamped Eli's hand not letting anyone get too close to them with the exception of Javier who was deep in thought about the power Eli had displayed last night.

It pained Eli to see him like that, while the boy hadn't been very vocal he wasn't as reserved as he was behaving now. Aurum had experienced something that would leave a mental scar and Eli had no idea how to help him, he also had his own scars to attend to.

He felt someone tug on his torn sleeve, snapping him out of his thoughts and he looked to his side to see Javier nodding his head to the back of the group, Eli realized that he wanted to talk out of earshot.

So they gradually slowed down and made the other's walk ahead, Akira lost in her mind and Zeke and Ethan whispering about something that Eli was determined to find out before days end.

"Eli what happened last night, with the tattoos and the eyes."

"I... It's complicated, I can't even explain it myself."

"Try."

"I have this weird reoccurring dream, -well I don't think it's a dream anymore but anyways, there's this... other me... but with blue eyes."

"Does it do anything?"

"It talks. It was what kind of hinted at someone tampering with my memories and it said that it could give me power."

Javier couldn't think of anything in their world that matched his descriptions. He knew nothing of any creature or entity that could grant power without being bonded to the host, unless it already was.

"What?" Eli asked. The face Javier was making was unnerving him, the way how his brows furrowed and his lips tilted downwards in a frown it didn't suit him. The small smile that was always on his face was no where to be found.

"I've never heard anything like that."

Those words were of no comfort to either of the boys, and a silence fell over them that was broken by Aurum's yawn. The dragon had been resting throughout most of their journey and returned to Eli to rest some more.

Eli relished the warmth he felt went Aurum rejoined him, looking ahead he saw the city coming into view. He released a sigh at that but then something caught his eye. Ethan was still talking to Zeke and he seemed so relaxed, his face was neutral for the first time in a long time his signature frown was nowhere in sight.

If that were anyone else he wouldn't have suspected anything but that was Ethan. Grumpy Ethan who only ever relaxed around his sister, and even then he wasn't much of a talker, so him talking to Zeke for the past three hours sent some flags to Eli's way.

Zeke rubbed at the handcuffs, feeling a bit irritated at this whole ordeal. While he had calmed down a degree and decided to have another chat with Ethan, the boy just wasn't taking any chances.

"Take it off."

"No."

"Ethan."

"It's not coming off until we talk."