she's beautiful

*six months later*

"Are you sure you're gonna be okay on your own? It's two days until you hit the due date..." jay sighed and fastened his jacket. Emily smiled, "I'll be fine, besides, I have a bag packed in case" she shrugged. Jay smiled, "alright, well I gotta go, but if you need me at all just call me" he nodded. She smiled and waved him out, "sure" she nodded as he wandered down the path. She smiled as he drove away before closing the door and returning to the couch, she feels like she's going to explode. Almost quite literally, this child is ready to pop out of her at any given moment, it's just a matter of waiting it out.

~~~~~~~

"How's she doing?" Antonio nodded as jay came strolling into the bullpen, "she's getting pretty frustrated now, I think she's just ready for it to happen" jay sighed. They all smiled, "I can't wait" Kim smiled. Jay smiled back since neither can he, all he wants to do is meet his little mini human, whom they don't know the gender of...

~~~~~~~

                  Emily was stood in the kitchen making a sandwich for lunch when she felt a small yet sharp pain in the side of her abdomen.  She put the knife down and hunched over the counter, she took a few seconds to recover before standing up again.  But when she straightened her back up as much as she could, the pain came back, and it was even worse.  It felt like bad cramps mixed with a stitch, but one thing she knew for sure was that this wasn't a good sign.  She grabbed her phone and immediately called jay, after a few rings and her panicked tears, it went straight to voicemail.  "Damn it" she cussed herself and tried his number again.  For the second time, it went to voicemail, "jay..." she hung up. 

                 She pulled up wills number instead, and luckily for her, he picked up after a few rings.
Will: "hey em, everything alright?"
Emily: "no, I don't know, I think I'm having cramps or something. It really hurts..."
Will: "contractions? Has your water broke yet?"
Emily: "no, I'm just having cramps..."
Will: "okay, I'm gonna come and get you now. Have you called jay?"
Emily: "he's not picking up, I think he's busy"
Will: "alright, well I'm on my way right now. I'm five minutes out so grab everything you need and I'll bring you to med"
Emily: "is this bad, will?"
Will: "I don't know em, I really can't say. But I need you to stay calm for the baby's sake"
Emily: "okay..."

She slowly ascended the stairs as she took deep breaths, this cannot be happening... She carefully grabbed the maternity bag from the closet and waddled down the stairs again, she heard the front door open quickly before a head of red hair appeared in the living room, "is this everything?" Will took the bag from her hands. She nodded and wiped a stray tear away, "hey, it's gonna be alright" he helped her out of the house and into his car. He ran back to the house, grabbed her handbag and keys, locked the door then dashed to his car before speeding off to med.

"Nat! We're gonna need some help over here!" Will called out as he helped Emily into the ED since she refused a wheelchair, typical Emily behaviour... Natalie helped Emily on a bed, "how bad is the pain on a scale of one to ten?" She carefully felt her bump. Emily winced, "I'm hovering near 100" she groaned. Natalie looked at Will in worry, "alright em, we're gonna get you prepped for an emergency c-section but I wanna run a few tests to make sure this is definitely what we need to do" she put a pair of gloves on. Emily nodded, "can you try jays number again?" She looked at Will. The red head smiled and nodded before quickly leaving the room and giving them some privacy.

After about 10 minutes of continuous tests and unbearable pain, Emily was absolutely exhausted already and she hasn't even done the hard part yet, not to mention the fact that jay wasn't picking up still... Natalie grabbed wills arm, "Emily's stats are too low, we gotta get her up to the OR before it's too late" she shook her head. Will nodded, "just go, I'll call jay again, do what you gotta do" he smiled sadly. Natalie nodded before waving April out of the room to let the other doctors help them wheel Emily into the elevator, Emily was barely conscious...

~~~~~~

               Jay grabbed his phone after getting back from an undercover gig to see at least 25 missed calls from Will and five missed calls from Emily, his heart skipped a beat on the spot as he grabbed his jacket, he just knows this isn't good.  He ran down the steps and called Emily back, but there was no answer so the nervous pit in his stomach grew even larger, turning his attention back to the road he called his brother through his cars Bluetooth system.
Will: "where the hell have you been?!"
Jay: "I was undercover, what's going on?"
Will: "get your ass to med right now, Emily's having an emergency c-section"
Jay: "W-what?!"
Will: "she was having bad cramps, they got worse and now Emily's not looking too good. Just hurry up man"
Jay: "I'm on my way now"

                   He set the phone down and pushed his foot onto the pedal, this cannot be occurring right now.  He really wants to worry about this baby, but the thought of losing Emily during childbirth would absolutely break him.  She's the light of his life, how is he meant to go on without her...?  Before he knew it he was springing towards the maternity ward in hopes of finding Will.  He soon spotted the red hair and bolted towards it, "she's in surgery now" Will nodded and looked through the window.  Jay looked through the window too, "am I allowed in?" He caught his breath back.  Will nodded and pushed the door open, "take your shirt off" Will nodded as he scrubbed them both up.  Jay shot him a confused glare, "the baby needs skin to skin contact when it's born" Will sighed sadly. 

                  "I thought the mother does that? What's wrong with Emily?" Jay panicked.  Will looked down, "she's unconscious" he nodded.  Jays heart dropped, "but she's okay, right?" He shook his head and held his hands up after washing them and taking his shirt off.  Will paused, "right?" Jay added in worry.  Will sighed heavily, "she's not stable for now, just focus on the baby jay, we're doing all we can for em" he nodded.  Jay let a wave of sadness rush over him as a tear rolled down his cheek, Will squeezed his shoulder before they wandered into the OR.  Jays eyes widened slightly as he saw the amount of blood everywhere.  Emily was laying on the table looking extremely pale so he grabbed her hand tightly and kissed the back of it.  He didn't even have time to think before the loud sound of crying appeared in the room. 

                   "It's a girl" dr Marcel held the baby up.  Jays eyes lit up as he held his arms out, "have you guys got a name picked out yet?" Will smiled and looked down at the beautiful baby in his brothers arms.  Jay smiled, "Gracie Alexis Halstead" he nodded proudly.  Will smiled, "she's beautiful" he nodded.  Dr Marcel threw the bloody rags in the bin, "okay, let's get her up to the hybrid-OR" he looked at Emily.  Jay turned around, "is she gonna be okay?" His voice was shaky and laced with fear.  Dr Marcel shot him a sad glare but ignored him and rushed Emily out of the room, "Will..." jay begged.  Will smiled sadly, "no one knows, jay, but she's a fighter..." he nodded.  Jay looked down at Gracie in his arms, "she has to make it will, she didn't even get to meet Gracie yet..." he let a sob take over him.  Natalie was too upset, so she left the room a few minutes ago, "c'mon, let's get her cleaned up" a nurse held her hand out.  Jay looked up and nodded before handing the nurse his baby, Emily has to make it...