Chapter 15

"Miss Walker, Damien Ethridge is here to see you."

Isabella paused at her assistant's words and slowly looked towards the machine. Her eyebrows dipped into a frown, and her stomach twisted uncomfortably. Her thoughts rushed back to the previous night, and the conversation that had passed between them.

To be honest, she was surprised that he had come to see her. After that little scene she had created, she thought he would have taken for the hills.

After all, nobody liked a person with issues.

She closed the file in her hands and leaned towards the machine to press the button. "Send him in, Mandy."

She placed the file down on her desk and looked up when she heard the door to her office open. The stomach twists intensified when she gazed upon the man who entered, looking exceptionally handsome in a dark navy suit that brought out the vivid iciness of his gaze that was trained on her.

"Hey, Grumps," Damien said with a small smile as he walked towards her.

The nickname that used to irk her to no end didn't seem to have the same effect on her this morning. In some strange way it actually eased her tense muscles, but even so, she made a conscious effort not to show her nervousness.

"Good morning, Damien," she replied, her dark eyes lowering to notice a box in his hand before meeting his gaze once again. "What brings you here?"

He offered her another small smile and took a seat in front of her. "I know you didn't want to mention it again, but I've just come here to give you a proper apology for my behaviour last night," he said and placed the box down on her desk.

Isabella's eyes widened in surprise at his words, and when she looked down, she noticed that it was an expensive assortment of chocolates. Heat immediately came to her cheeks, and she shifted in her seat, suddenly feeling rather shy under his gaze. "You didn't have to do that. I . . . shouldn't have made such a big fuss about it either."

Damien shrugged his shoulders and settled into his chair, stretching his long legs out in front of him. "Still. I want to make up for it."

Isabella's heart warmed at his words, and she offered him an uncharacteristically timid smile. "Thank you."

He gestured to the box. "By all means, you can eat one now. I know how much you like your morning dose of sugar."

A soft laugh escaped her lips as she looked at him. "So I've finally converted you to the ways of unhealthy eating, have I?"

Damien returned her smile. "Not at all, but I'll allow it this one time."

Isabella chuckled and shook her head as she reached for the box and opened it. "Sorry, but if you still want to talk to me, you'll have to allow it every time or else you'll see my real grumpy nature."

He held his hand against his forehead and puffed his cheeks out to give himself an exhausted expression. "Oh, boy. We can't have that. I can barely handle you as it is."

Even though it wasn't the funniest joke in the world, for some strange reason Isabella couldn't stop herself from laughing. She shook her head and chose a little heart-shaped chocolate. "You're another character, Damien," she chuckled as she unwrapped it from its casing.

"As long as you don't mind my character," he replied, watching her pretty face flush a delicate pink.

She licked her lips and averted her gaze to the chocolate in her hand. "I think I'm getting used to it."

-

The days rolled by in a slow fashion as the dates on the calendar neared Nathan and Jenny Walker's wedding anniversary. A menu had finally been agreed upon, and Lesley had her hands full with ensuring that all the plans were in place for the approaching day.

Conflict of Heartजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें