Chapter 10

One moment there were three alive men and an unknown dead man in the room. The next second there were three alive men and two dead men.

However, Alba didn't know who was the second dead person.

Everyone in the room had heard the conversation between Azarov and Axel. They had all heard the gunshot, but after that moment, the communications were turned off, and no one was responding.

Agent 16-E was trying to bring everything back, but Agent 19 was certain that their agents had deliberately turned off their earpieces and microphones.

Alba was trying to locate their people with the satellite, hoping to find them alive.

"Agent 40-S, do you hear me?" She wouldn't stop repeating the question while her fingers were typing fast.

Her wrist was protesting in pain.

Not now. Be patient! she said to her wrist as if it could stop hurting willingly.

"I got them! I see the Chief and Agent O."

Where are you?

A brassy sound filled the Great Room through the speakers, and then a man's voice spoke.

"Azarov is dead. Neva is arrested. We are returning."

Where are you, Axel?

"Sir, what happened?" Assistant Agent X asked, and the whole room was eagerly waiting for an explanation.

"Not now. Make sure that we won't face any surprises on our way back."

Alba's eyes were fixed on the screens, scanning for him.

Oh my God!

A sigh of relief escaped her lips as she saw Axel getting out of the wooden house.

"Good job, everyone! Return to your business. The show is over," Assistant Agent X announced, and only a few people were left in the room.

"Excellent job, Agent 23. Go eat something and rest. They won't be back for a few hours." Agent 16-E was smiling, though the dark circles were visible behind her glasses.

Alba nodded, hearing her stomach growl in agreement.

"I'm coming with you. I need a break for twenty minutes, please."

Agent 16-E was hesitant but gave a sign of permission when she saw the pleading eyes of the sunshine.

The two women entered the restaurant of the base.

"I wonder why we call it that way. It's nothing more than a grey room with tables, chairs and long benches with food."

Alba took a plate and filled it with some meat and mashed potatoes. She had no idea what time it was, but she believed that it wasn't the right time for dinner.

They sat alone, opposite each other, and for a few minutes, no one spoke.

If only I could tell Kayla that her mashed potatoes are no longer the most perfect thing I've eaten, she thought and went to refill her plate.

"So..."

Alba raised her head. "Yes?" The question was muffled between her bites.

Agent 19 stretched her body and moved her head forward. "Did those papers help you?"

"I don't know. Did you read them?"

"I did. I'm curious, you know." She took a bite from her vegetables. "But I don't judge you. When my parents died, I had nowhere to go. The base is everything I know, and they took care of me. However, that hasn't stopped me from dreaming of a life out of here."