Chapter 10: Fully Empty

Finn's POV

Oliver and I walked through the almost empty school grounds in complete and surprisingly unawkward silence. It was Friday and school was finished. I haven't told Oliver what we were about to do but I did tell him to come with me and thankfully, he did. I didn't expect him to, especially since he tend to stay away from me recently for obvious reasons, but this was one time we had to stray from the usual.

"So... Are you gonna give me a hint on where we're going?" He asked out of the blue.

"Well..." I trailed off once we reached the gates of the school. I looked around and my dad's car was nowhere to be seen.

"Well?"

I bit my lip absentmindedly before looking at him again.

"Uh... You're meeting my dad." I admitted sheepishly.

His eyebrows shot up and his cheeks turned pink for a moment.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? You know, the first interaction we had wasn't really the best." 

"He's actually the one who suggested it." 

He gripped the strap of his backpack and fiddled with it for a second, his blond hair playing in the wind before nodding with a smile. Just as we finished talking, I saw my dad's car in the distance.

"Oh, he's here." I announced which made Oliver look at where my dad has pulled over. 

I could sense Oliver's nervousness from the way he was fiddling with a lint on his shirt and from how he was fiddling with his bag straps.

"Don't be nervous, he doesn't bite... I think." I joked to which he laughed.

The driver's door opened and my dad came out, wearing his usual work attire, long sleeved-polo shirt and a black tie. I gave him a one armed hug as he looked over at Oliver.

"Hello, Mr. Vasco. I'm Oliver." He introduced himself with a polite nod.

My dad looked at me again, his eyes squinted before he looked at Oliver again.

"I'm Rick." He said simply, his stern look slowly dissipating. "I want you to join us dine, Oliver, I hope that's alright with your schedule." 

"Totally! That's no problem." 

My dad smiled slightly before getting in the car.

. . .

After we were seated in the restaurant my dad picked and ordering, we started talking about whatever topic had its chance to come across our conversation until it was finally about me.

"So. How did you and Finn meet?"

"It was actually-"

"I wasn't talking to you, Finn. Let him speak."

I mimed zipping my mouth and looked out the window that was near our seats but my ears were still listening to what Oliver will answer to that question.

"Uh. I actually introduced myself to him during lunch and then we just clicked after." Oliver said carefully, his voice surprisingly gentle.

My dad nodded silently, he looked at me which made me look at him and before it got unnecessarily awkward, I raised my eyebrows curiously at him.

"Mhm, and you two have spent a lot of time together?"

"Yes, sir." Oliver answered.

The atmosphere was, dare I say, awkward, so I just looked out the window to distract myself.