13. You need to talk to me

"Okay, Wilder, you have had that look on your face for a week now; what is going on!" Dad said, smashing a cloth down at the kitchen table in front of himself. I moved back in my seat, almost frightened of his behavior, and he folded his arms over his chest, demanding me to talk to him.

"Nothing," I say, but I feel like everything that I buried deep down is about to burst out of me in tears.

"It can't be nothing, Wilder," Dad seated himself across from me, and I lay my hand over my face as tears forced themselves out.

"You need to talk to me," He said, and I dried the wetness of my cheeks. It hurts so much as if someone dug a hole in my heart and replaced it with emptiness.

"Is it school?" He asked, and I shook my head.

"The girl you like?" I nod to his words; it's stupid and pathetic at this point.

"She didn't like you?" He said it carefully, scared that I would burst out into anger.

"No," I answered.

"She likes you?" He tried again, and I nod. Dad's mouth opened but closed it again.

"Well, then why are you crying?" He sounds bewildered by me.

"Because we can't be together," I take a long breath to calm myself down, so I won't shout words at him that I will regret.

"Who said you couldn't?" He raised his eyebrows, and my hand turned into a fist.

"Do you have any idea what could happen if people found out!" I shout, hitting my hand down on the table.

"I am the captain of The Howlers, and she is the captain of The Griffiths. I am supposed to be their leader, to go out as an example for my teammates. If they find out, they might take it all away from me and perhaps even be kicked out from the team," I sit back down as I noticed that I had stood up.

"This town is divided, dad, and it's terrible," I tell him and try to calm myself down. I thought he would be mad at me for yelling the way I did, but he sits there in quietness.

"I agree with you, Wilder. This town has separated itself, and it shouldn't be like that. But that doesn't mean you have to play by their rules,"

"What?" I frown.

"Wilder, if you want something, you should go and get it, but don't hurt yourself," He warns me.

"I'm not going to do anything; besides, I'm late; I have to pick up Lynda," I said.

***

I walk side by side with Lynda at the mall. She needs new soccer shoes, which I have complained about her for a week now. Her big toe was starting to poke out of them, but she felt too attached to do anything about it. I thought she was crazy, so I threw them in the bin. She was so mad that she hit me with a bottle in the head. I didn't care; she can't play soccer with her toe out of her shoes. I think she is the insane one, not me.

"Oh, which color should I take this time," She grins from ear to ear as we entered the sports shop.

"I don't know," I say, sticking my hands in my cargo pants pockets. There are so many different brands and types. My dad bought my last one for my birthday, and I know they were not cheap. It was too kind of him to do. I stroll down the hallway taking in all the different colors, blue, green, even purple. There are way too many to count. I was about to turn back to Lynda as I saw Nico standing on the other side of the shop with a few friends, looking at goalkeeper gloves. She is bumping her finger on her cheek as she tries to decide which one to choose. A smile pushes itself forward, and I don't think I have had one of those in a while. It feels like a foreign movement to do. Unexpectedly, she turned in my direction, and her whole face softened. I moved away, knowing if I stare too long, I might get lost.

"Have you found anything?" I ask Lynda and rest my hands on my hips.

"No, there are too many to choose between," I roll my eyes and found myself a seat. Shopping is boring. I could have spent my time differently. Perhaps go out for a run or visit my grandparents and eat some delicious blueberry pie. Grandmom can make the best pies in the world.

"You know Nico is here, right?" Lynda stormed towards me and whispered.

"Yeah, I saw," I told her everything on the way here, including the kiss we shared. She was shocked but also understood my pain. Usually, I tend not to say things that bother me to Lynda. It's just this time; it was too heavy to bear. I hide my face in my hands as she continues to look around. It's too crowded up in my head now, and it's starting to become overwhelming.

"Are you okay, Wilder?" Lynda asks, and I take my hands off my face.

"Yes, I am fine," I muttered but saw Nico and her friends exiting the shop. A wave of sadness washes over me as she disappeared from my view.

"Wilder," Lynda bends down on her knees in front of me.

"I can see it as bright as the sun that you are not okay," She placed her hand on my knee.

"It will go over," I tell her as I stand up, wanting nothing to do with this conversation.

"I hope so for your sake, or you better do something about it in a different way," She smiles lightly at me. I rest my hands on my waist, glaring at her.

"Don't you have some shoes to find?" I complain.

"I sure do," She girns and finds her way back.