Wave Seventy One

Leira approached Anahita’s caverns. She’d made the others wait with Naeco just outside. She needed to see Anahita alone first.
(Child.) The Seer reached out to Leira before she made it into her main chamber. Leira rounded a corner and found Anahita hunched over a small segment of Source in a bowl. It crackled and rustled. Leira looked at the cave wall. It had once held the dying Source her father had connected to. Scorched and black, no trace of his energy remained there. Leira laid the chest down at Anahita’s tail. A slow smile crept across the Seer’s face, but it faltered when she saw Leira’s tail. Leira followed her gaze. Her amethyst tail was latticed with countless white streaks trailing across her scales. Leira shrugged dismissively. It didn’t matter anymore.

Not wanting to waste its energy, Anahita picked up one end of the chest and signalled for Leira to take the other. They tried to heave it across the seabed, to the far wall. It was too heavy. Cursing, Anahita drew on the Source within it. The chest rose easily between them and they swam to the cavern wall. Slowly, Anahita opened the chest and peered in. Her face glowed yellow in the Sourcelight. Deftly, Anahita reached in. She pulled a thick strand of light from the chest and slammed it into the wall. It instantly took root. Leira watched, amazed, as the Source leeched in the rock. Soon the cavern wall was aglow as the Source spread across it. All the while, Anahita’s lips moved inaudibly as she spoke to the souls within the Source. Eventually, she stopped. She looked at Leira wistfully.
(Thank you, Child.) She pulled Leira toward her, as though needing Mer contact after struggling with the Source’s energy.
(Why do you call me that?) Leira asked. The name had begun to bother her. She wasn’t a child. Hadn’t been for a long time. Anahita gave her a sad smile. Instead of answering, she projected a memory onto the seabed.

A young Anahita, alone in her cavern, pressed her hands to her stomach. Leira watched as she saw Anahita make the journey to the birthing site. Time after time, trying mate after mate, she’d made the journey. Everyone in the Nest knew Anahita had made the trip dozens of times, but none of her offspring ever made it back. And now Leira saw why. Each time Anahita reached the site, she sat in the soft depression there. And she would weep – unable to lay. Nothing grew inside her.

Leira rushed into Anahita’s arms, and nestled there. She projected her thoughts of love and warmth to the Mer who yearned for a child, a legacy.
(I’m so-)
(Don’t say it, Child.) Anahita smoothed Leira’s hair and they relished the contact. (I’m just sorry this is happening to you.) She touched Leira’s tail. A fresh current eddied around them, chilling Leira. She pulled away from the embrace, brought back to reality.
(We’re in danger. A Black Tail-) Anahita started at Leira’s words.
(A Warrior? Where?) Fear filled her eyes and she gripped Leira’s arms. (Where did you see a Black Tail?)
(He’s here.) Dread swept Anahita’s features and she fell to the seabed. Leira swam to her.
(Their herd, they all know what Sources contain. They steal -)
(I know what they do.) Anahita’s words sounded cold. (If one has reached the Nest, then it’s already too late.)
(Not if he doesn’t die,) Leira replied. (But we have to explain that to the others-)
(-before they kill him.) Understanding filled the Seer’s eyes as she finished Leira’s thought. (Bring me to him.)