Wave Twelve

Her father’s thoughts had joined her mother’s. She felt caught between her parents and the Source. She became more aware of the energy flowing out of her. But there was something else. A small trickle of energy was seeping into her, replacing what the Source was stealing.

  For a moment, Leira experienced total equilibrium: energy in and energy out. And then it shifted. The balance tipped and more energy was flowing into her, restoring her, than the Source could take. Sensations returned to her body. The strands binding her began to sear her flesh.  She was able to turn her head. Through the blurry glow of the Source energy surrounding her, she could see two figures, amethyst tails swiping from side to side to keep them afloat.

        Without warning, the Source tightened its grip on her. She felt herself whipped through the water, high above the two figures. Agony followed as the Source maintained its assault and continued to burn into her. She arched her back against the pain of it and her head snapped back. She felt her mother’s presence more clearly. She sensed that whatever piece of her mother existed in the Source was struggling to protect her somehow, directing energy away from the Source and into Leira. She heard her mother’s tone, a scream now, and felt a rush of strength – Sirene’s final stand.

(LEIR-)

Then total silence for a heartbeat before Leira was slammed back down to the seabed. The Source went out. Her mother was gone.