The Date

Kylie

Kylie

There was a nervous flip in my stomach when I entered Andrei's restaurant. After the charity event the other night, I haven't been hearing from Christian. Two days. A few months back, it would've been a colossal blessing – a dream come true. But, so far, I've just been hoping in vain. Hoping that flowers will be delivered and then I went on with my day.

When Chandra invited me to dinner with her siblings, I figured it was time to have a little talk about the misunderstanding. That she only had one thing right: I am attracted to one of his brothers. It's the specifics she gotten all wrong. Also, I accepted the invitation because I was hoping Christian would be there. The right Parkinson I've been missing in the past couple of days.

My eyes scoured the restaurant, then spotted Matthew on a table by the window, three chairs on each side unoccupied. His face lit up in recognition. Out of manners, he stood up and lead me to the table.

"I think we're too early," Matthew says as he pulls a chair and helped me in.

"Thank you. I thought so too," I replied wryly.

Matthew slid back on the chair across from me. His phone buzzes on the table. He regards me with a small smile before taking the phone to read the message. He puts it to his pocket, the smile turning apologetic. "Chandra said she would be late, and we should go on ahead."

"Okay." I smile. "And Andrei?" Christian?

"He's working the kitchen tonight. His sous-chef is not in," he explains, disappointed as I was.

A few seconds later, a waiter came to take our orders. We both ordered a salad, our appetites not much cheerful as I thought it would be earlier today when I thought I would be seeing Christian. I shake my head, ridding myself of the thought. By the time the waiter came with our orders, Matthew had cheered me up. We ate in silence, exchanging glances when waiters took the two extra chairs from our table.

I shifted uncomfortably. With just the two of us dining in a restaurant, it felt odd. I focused on my salad.

"Kylie?"

My eyes lifted to Matthew. "Yeah?"

The smile he's given me is uncomfortable. "I'm just realizing something here." He gestured to the table.

"You are?"

He nods, then tapped his fingers on the table. "Do you feel like this is a setup?"

My back snapped straight against my chair. My gaze staggers between us, then down at the table and to the absence of a couple more chairs. It hit me. This looked like a date. "Oh, my God."

Matthew scratches the back of his neck. "Chandra." He shakes his head.

I look at him in horror.

"Listen, Kylie. I'm so sorry. I should've known."

"No. None of this is your fault."

He shakes his head. "I let things between us become weird."

"No. Not at all. I think this may have been my fault." I bit my lip.

He stares at me, brows creased.

"She assumed I like you, and I haven't had the time to correct her." My arms slumped on the table.

His head tilted to one side. "But you don't."

I slapped my hand to my forehead. "Oh,
God, I ruined us."

"Kylie." He chuckles.

I straightened at his lack of concern over the matter. "You don't feel weird?"

He shakes his head. "Maybe, a little. But I always knew you don't like me that way."

I winced. "This is awkward."

"Not if you make it awkward."

I sighed.

"Listen, Kylie," he began quietly, "I like being with you. You're like a little sister I'd guard with all I have. And I know you feel the same way. Well, not me as a sister but a brother."

A giggled bubbled in my throat. "The last sentence ruined the whole vibe."

"Yeah, I figured." He chuckles.

We both sighed, then stared at each other. I wasn't sure who laughed first, but we both ended up laughing at the setup we found ourselves in.

"Let's just forget about this whole thing." I gestured to the table.

Matthew nods. "And what about that one brother of mine that you like?"

I stiffened. "Wait, you, um," I stammered.

"I knew."

I groaned. "Was I that obvious?"

"No. Of course, not," he comforted, hiding a teasing smile.

I casted a glare his way. "You're just trying to make me feel better. Honestly, though, was I too obvious?"

"No. Honestly, if I hadn't been around as much as I have, I will never know."

My lips pursed with thought. "You're not going to tell him, are you?"

"It's not my secret to tell, Kyles." He laughs softly.

And just like that, my mind fled back to Christian. He wouldn't let me off this easily if it had been him across the table. I thought I despised him for it, but turns out, it may have grown on me a little.

"Come on, let's ditch this thing and forget all about it in the morning." He put his fork down, his eyes glinting.

I stood up. "Way ahead of you."

Happy Holidays, lovelies! What do you think of the chapter? Tell me on the comments below

Happy Holidays, lovelies! What do you think of the chapter? Tell me on the comments below. :) I hope you're all having a nice time. What are your holiday movie lists? Please do tell. I could really use some suggestions.

Love you! Xoxo.