Gorgeous

Kylie

Kylie

I hopped out of the elevator with an ease of someone who skidded down the same lobby in sky-high heels – two coffees to-go in hand – for years. I only have four years under my belt but that's definitely almost half a decade. I'm allowed to be smug about it.

I raced to my desk, my heels noisily stabbing the marbled floor. There was already a box of doughnut on my desk, courtesy of my boss' hotshot soon-to-be-husband. But the dozen premium treats are not a pleasurable sight like they used to on days I'm not late for work.

I have only been late twice. That one time I watch the fifteenth floor of my apartment building devoured by fire, and now the hackneyed tendencies of cheap apartments which is the 'bursting broken pipe.' Although I was lucky I didn't bathe in dirty pipe water like Audrey's friend Jessica did, I'm still grossed out at the ten inch water in my apartment.

I was lucky I dashed out of my apartment floor quickly enough not to shower with filthy water, a string of curses from my unfortunate neighbors trailing behind. My apartment was barely livable before the flood and now I have to imagine a rotting smell and maybe, mildew.

I shuddered. I'm not moving back in again.

The door of Audrey's office opened. My boss comes out.

"I'm sorry." I texted her on the way about the whole apartment disaster. Not that she would bury me alive if I ever were late. Sure, she is deemed an ice queen, but somewhere deep down she has the soft spot.

Her eyes raked all over me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I handed over her coffee.

"Are you sure? I called Vren to bring some of my clothes."

My wardrobe is the least of my worries. And to be honest, Audrey's size is a far cry from mine. Her maxi skirt is a maxi dress to me. "It's fine. I was already dressed when it started flooding."

"And the rest of your clothes?"

My face scrunched up on that. "Right. I think I was able to save most of them. They're safe in the back of my car."

Audrey sighed. "Do you need anything?"

"No. I'm fine. It was a crappy apartment anyway," I reassured, knowing she would offer a living space if I'm not convincing enough. I've lived in her guest room when my previous apartment building got toasted.

"You can't go back in that apartment."

"No. It's fine." My eyes rounded in alarm.

She shakes her head firmly and gave me a look that glued my tongue to the roof of my mouth. "You're not going back. Listen, Vren still has his penthouse from way back. You can stay there temporarily."

"No, Audrey. I think that's too much. Looking for another apartment is not that hard."

She raised an eyebrow, her gaze turning icy.