34|nothing much better, than looking and catching your eye

nothing much better, than looking and catching your eye

The turbulent river flowed to create an enticing pattern of sounds, that which when combined with the chirping of the birds and the whirling of the branches, strummed beautiful melodies of the natural world.

But it was their last summer day in the lake house. Soon, they'd live what was left if it back in the city, hence Mrs Collins invited Aunt Lauren and Gray on a picnic alongside the river, where they wanted to watch the sun go down, taking in what was left of their time in the town.

That afternoon became a time void of any emotions, like both girls were trying to avoid the fact that it was only hours away, only hours left that they'd be separated by great distances. The thought left a bitter feeling in Elis, the curly haired girl swallowing nothing as she hugged her knees and gazed dully at the active river before her. She'd been quiet most of the time, letting the sound of conversation and laughter of everybody else remain in the background of her thoughts.

The sandwich in her plate remained untouched, as Elis couldn't digest anything other than all the thoughts crossing her brain. And it was a feeling that left her quite empty, just as when everything else became numb. But soon Elis sighed, turning her head to look at the joyous people next to her.

"I thought about it mom," Elis said, catching Mrs Collins's attention as the older woman turned to look at her daughter, but it was Gray's gaze more so than the older woman's that Elis could feel drilling through her head.

"You can store the old portraits in the...room. I think that would be best actually," the curly haired girl countered, which sparked an immediate smile on the older woman's face.

"Really?" Mrs Collins articulated. "That's amazing! Now my renovation ideas have gotten a lot better for the next time we come back." It was her contagious smile made Elis's lips curl up, despite not feeling like it at all.

But it was a natural connection between mother and daughter that caused her momentary amusement, the family now feeling as though they've conquered a part of their healing process in coming back to the lake house, and approaching existing memories of their lost son.

"As long as we come back. That's the part that matters," Elis smiled, her gaze trailing off to catch that of the ginger girl. And Gray gave her a secretive smile, briefly, before returning to eating her sandwich with a content feeling settling within her.

As long as they would return, those were the words that made up for everything both girls have ever felt, washing away every inch of doubt that even for a second, managed to invite itself in. The kind of love they lived was incredible, the most beautiful piece of experiencing that would live on through that wonderful summer in which they've found it.

Because love, in all ways, was a mystifying experience. It went far beyond, proving to be the most simple yet multiplying feeling when fully explored. And it was the kind of love that would always exist even when the people in which it lived in long passed.

Such to that astounding thing was the amazing summer in which both girls felt without any type of doubt, proving the capabilities of their hearts and making each other up in the stars. That they'd live through infinities together, and somewhere gladly beyond.