10|the summer we both died

the summer we both died

The thing about love was that Elis knew nothing about it.

For the most part, she's only ever felt it towards her family. But romantic love? That was something of a mystery to Elis. But she wanted to know, to experience, to understand.

Elis wanted to be able to express herself in ways she never could before. She longed for it to accompany her wherever she went. She wanted to feel it close, like it suddenly turned from an abstract feeling to a tangible object that she could reach out and touch.

That was what she thought when she stayed awake in the night, a pencil and a notebook in front of her.

Gray left a few hours ago with aunt Lauren, and Elis couldn't stop thinking about writing the sonnet Gray had challenged her to. It probably wasn't going to meet the guidelines of a sonnet, though, her mind wasn't poetic enough to produce fourteen lines of...whatever it was that Elis was going to write.

So she would write less, thinking of the one and only girl who's picture couldn't leave her mind since the day she saw her, seated around the dining table in a place she greatly despised.

Elis thought of her appearance, her smile, her eyes, her skin... She thought of her kindness, the joy she emmits, and her enthusiasm when she spoke of topics she was passionate about. Gray became the more perfect in the eyes of Elis.

Although she had never written a single poem in her life, being all alone in the night, and seated in the dark room with only a bedside lamp providing light, Gray was who Elis was going to write about. She was who Elis wanted to write about.

And instead of writing of a winter's night, Elis changed it to a better fitting, night's constellations.

Shall I compare thee to a night's constellations? Thou skin so full of freckles to build up a thousand galaxies. And flawless skin that belong to thee more beautiful than a wallpaper of space, sometime too captivating I get lost in exploring. Let I compare thee to a night's constellations, because thy red hair darker than night itself. And often gray eyes emmit more gray than moon itself. But galaxy in thy eyes never fade away. And if I compare thee to a night's constellations, I'd say thy beauty untrues nature. And so long stars could shine, so long the universe could live, thy'd forever make the perfect night.

The next day in the lake house came with a much brighter morning and warmer air.

The summer was in full set.

Elis's mother had prepared an extra special breakfast to celebrate the house's renovation. She had invited Lauren and Gray to join them, whom Elis found already seated when she walked down the stairs.

She barely slept, and by the time some sense of sleep was finally overwhelming her, the sun began to make reflections on her windows, and her mother began to pound against her door, demanding she awoke to prepare for a hopefully, much better day.

"Look who's finally here. Take a seat honey. I made the eggs just the way you like them."

Elis grinned at her mother, leaning down to give her and her father a kiss on a cheek. She then decided to sit on the chair directly in front of Gray, grabbing the bread from across the table.

"Thanks mom. It looks good."

"Thank you honey. Today Lauren and I are going to look at some furniture downtown. Wanna come along?" Mrs Collins asked, looking at Gray. Elis cut in when ginger girl nodded.

"Actually I was thinking Gray would help with something in my room..." Elis trailed off before looking at Gray. "I mean, if that's okay with you, of course."