Chapter 13

When the guards brought Peterkin in, I don't think I ever saw him in such terrible shape. The guards threw him in front of me, but he couldn't lift his head from the ground. His breathes were heavy and labored, his messy blonde hair covering his ocean blue eyes.

"Be thankful that you are even breathing, knight," Kor'geden barked, "you have these two to thank for your life."

Peterkin looked up at me through his matted locks, and his half-covered eyes widened,

"Briar..." he breathed out, "what.. What are you..."

"I'm here to get you outta here, big bro," I chuckled, tears threatening to spill from my eyes, "they need you at home, especially Mary..."

"Oh gods, what kind of trouble did that little imp get into while I was gone?" He laughed dryly, "How did you even get here Bri? This place..."

I smiled, "I wouldn't have made it without him," I nodded my head at Rezrath. Peterkin looked up at him, and smiled.

"Thank you for looking out for my little sis," he wheased out, and Rezrath smiled kindly,

"Your sister looked out for me a lot too," Rezrath gazed adoringly at me, and I felt my cheeks heat up slightly- no matter how much he flirted with me, his red eyes looking at me with such love and respect will always get me flustered.

"Wait a minute," I said, "who are you calling little? I'm taller than you!"

Peterkin chuckled, but before he could respond, Migmodor spoke;

"As much as I enjoy this adorable reunion, it's time that we end it." His tone changed from gentalness to one of malice in a matter of moments. Kor'geden grabbed Peterkin by the hair, dragging him to the foot of the throne.

"Guards, release Rezrath, but keep your weapons pointed," Migmodor ordered, his grin turning sinister.

Rezrath was released from his binds, but was immediately met with obsidian swords at his back.

"Make a move to attack either of us or free the girl, and you die, brother," Migmodor continued. Rezrath sighed, standing as his brother signaled him to approach the throne.

Kor'geden vanishes behind the throne for a moment, but reappears with a black box in his hands. Rezrath stares at the box in horror.

"As you already know, dear brother," Migmodor began, "you are first in line to take the place of our father as the Demon King. The Blade of Banishment was used by our father in many battles-"

Kor'geden opens the box to reveal a blade made of pure hellfire, which takes the shape of a traditional longsword.

"This blade is your birthright, and thus, can only be used by yourself and your the one closest to you," Migmodor continues, "And as we cannot use it, we give you an offer- take this knight's soul and turn him to another of our mindless soldiers, or the girl is killed."

I feel the sharpness of my own blade cross my neck, and I swallow my anxieties hard.

Rezrath and I make eye contact, and I feel like I can hear his voice assuring me that everything will be okay. Just by looking at his blood red eyes, I know his plan. I nod slightly, and he smiles slyly.

He takes the sword of flame from its case, swinging it around a few times, before pointing it at Peterkin's chest. He makes the upward motion as if he were to slice him in two, but he instead throws it backwards. I duck, and the sword impales the guard behind me, and I hear his scream as he is sent back to the underworld.

I grab the sword, and its flame is still burning hot, and it melts the restraints straight off of my wrists. Migmodor and Kor'geden shout, and multiple guards come at me from all angles. I parray, stab, and slash at the guards, until there are none left in the throne room. The soldiers and guards outside of the throne room then enter, thus joining the fray. I grab my obsidian spear, and turning to Rezrath, throw the Blade of Banishment to him, and he catches it with ease.

I seem to fare quite well against the guards, dodging their stabs and returning the favor by plunging the spear into their chest. Multiple demons fall to my spear, and I manage to pick up one of the fallen's obsidian swords, and I end more of their hellish lives. Soon enough, only the severely wounded are left barely breathing. I was slashed and nicked here and there, but nothing terribly serious.

I frantically search the room until I see Peterkin; his weak body still residing on the throne, while the Hellborn Triad make aerial combat. I rush to him, checking his pulse. I thank the gods that he is still alive, and sit him up gently, so that he is no longer laying on his stomach.

"Don't worry Pettie," I mutter, throwing off my breastplate to tear a piece of fabric off of my shirt, tending to a newly opened wound, "we'll get you home."

I look up, and see that Rezrath is winning against his brothers. He punches Migmodor to the ground, and tackles Kor'geden to the earth as well.

He stands over them, pointing the Blade of Banishment at their throats. He glances over at me, smiles, and returns his attention to his brothers.

"You two are so fucking insuffrable," he groaned, "How did I put up with you for millennia?"

"Now listen, Rezrath," Kor'geden practically whimpered, "I'm sure we can talk this out-"

Rezrath barked out a laugh, "After you tried to threaten and hurt what's MINE? Get the fuck out of here."

"But you said she wasn't-" Migmodor was interrupted by Rezrath laughing again,

"She's not a slave, but she IS mine. You two wouldn't understand; you've never loved..." Rezrath turned to me, and I couldn't help but smile, a blush slowly surfacing on my cheeks as I tended to my wounded brother.

Rezrath tsked his younger brothers, swinging the sword as he did before, "Say hi to mom and dad for me," he told them just before he sliced into them in one smooth motion- the two Demon Princes vanishing, returning to the underworld.

(Count: 1,041)