03 • The First Day • 03

CHAPTER THREE•CHARLIE •

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

CHAPTER THREE
•CHARLIE •

Monday marked the end of summer vacation and I was not here for it.

Joe's truck pulled up outside my house, and he rolled his window down when he spots me waiting at the foot of my drive. My stepbrother's had already left for school in car they share and our parents had left for work.

Joe was late.

The sound of a Bon Jovi song greets my ears as I get into shot gun. He apologies for being late, telling me his Dad forced him to drop his sister off at Long Shore's middle school. I brush it off and Joe pulls out of my road.

"Where's Taylor?" I question, knowing Joe would have picked her up first because her house was on her way here.

"She overslept."

"On the first day of school?"

"She rang me this morning. She overslept." I raised my eyebrows. "On the first day of school?"

"Apparently, she got so used to her brother's loud music waking her up for school that she stopped setting her alarm years ago. I guess now that Jason's gone, she just forgot."

"Ah — who would have thought that Jason Thornton would make it to college?" I smirked.

Joe shook his head. "With the amount of parties he hosted, I'm surprised he even graduated."

The drive to school goes quickly. As it turns out, Long Shore High is closer to new house than my old one. Before I know it, Joe's turning into the school parking lot with five minutes to spare before the first bell.

"Welcome to hell." I mutter, glaring at the school building. 

"Only two more years, Char." Joe says to me, offering me a tired smile. "Then we're free."

"I can't wait to never see this place again." I reply, getting out of the car with Joe following just behind me.

Just then, I heard loud music enter the school parking lot. I looked up to see my Stepbrother's car pull into a space. Sebastian got out of the driver's seat and his two brother's followed.

Everyone's eyes fell on them and the three of them walk into school. They didn't notice my eyes on them. Instead, they revelled in the attention they were getting and only paid attention to each other. I was like everyone else — an outsider.

"Who do they think they are?" I mumbled.

"Who cares?" Joe says, rolling his eyes at the attention they were getting.

The pair of us walk through the front doors and I instantly became aware that something was different. As I walked my way through the hallway, I started to feel like I stood out like a lighthouse in the midst of the choppy sea of students.