Chapter 4

A cloud of silver bubbles encased Dyvon as she plunged beneath the surface of her watery prison

A cloud of silver bubbles encased Dyvon as she plunged beneath the surface of her watery prison. Metal crashed as the sailors shut and locked the grate above her. Surrounded by darkness, somehow, she knew she was not alone. Undulating tendrils of onyx hair framed her pale face as if frozen in time. A trickle of fear skittered down her spine in warning as muffled cheers of celebration pierced the surface. Ears thrumming with a fury, her eyes darted around for any sign of danger. She was bare and exposed in a sea that was not her own.

Dyvon surged towards the only light she could find, towards the very people who put her there. Her skin breached the surface, and she clamped her hands around the rusted dirt-caked gate separating her from freedom.

"Please!" Her cry sliced through the night, and the jolly voices she'd naively found enchanting, mere moments before. "Let me out! I've done nothing!" A boisterous cacophony of male laughter roared to life above her. Dyvon glanced below to the impenetrable darkness, where a creature watched with calculation, unlike anything she'd encountered.

An agonized screech escaped her lips as a boot stomped upon her slender fingers. Dyvon wrenched them free and dropped them into the small pocket of air between the water and the grate. A sneering face peered down at her from the deck of the ship. The man crouched beside the entrance, his hulking form casting dark shadows across her tearful face.

"Hello, little one." His lips peeled back to reveal a full set of teeth and a sneer of absolute condescension. Dyvon shrank back further, her attention shifting rapidly between the man and the water below. "It seems we haven't been properly introduced. My name is Captain Slank. This fine vessel belongs to me. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of hearing your name." The tone with which he addressed her was reminiscent of how one would speak to a prized pig.