Chapter 12 [edited]

"Well, that was... interesting."

I slowly walked out of the movie theater with Bella and Jessica, who had a disgusted look on her face.

"I don't get why there are so many zombie movies coming out," Bella said, kicking a pebble.

"It's, like, a metaphor? For crass consumerism or something. Not that you'd know anything about consuming. You didn't buy anything today." Jessica threw a dirty look in Bella's direction, who hadn't seen it. "So much for girls' day out, right?"

"Really, Jess? Lay off of her." I said, casting a dark look at her.

"I bought something," Bella said defensively.

"Socks don't count. Then again, I was surprised you even called me."

"I've been kind of... out of it."

"Kind of? I mean, at first I was worried. Then I'm like, okay, she's still bumming? It's not like I wasn't going through things, too. Like Mike deciding he wanted to "just be friends?" That was really hard and --"

"Jessica, I said knock it off." I interrupted her harshly. "So what, Mike said he wanted to be friends. It's probably because of how snobby you are to other people. Bella is allowed to grieve her ended relationship however she needs to. If that means going four months without talking to anyone, then so be it. Quit making everything about you!"

"Excuse me?" Jessica's eyes widened in surprise.

Before I could say another word, a man's voice called out, causing us to turn around.

"How about a ride, girls?"

Down the side street, a few buildings from the movie theater, stood four guys outside of a bar called One-Eyed Pete's. Motorcycles were parked next to the men, who all looked rough and dangerous, like predators stalking their prey.

"Come on." Jessica whispered sharply.

"I agree, let's get out of here." I shivered at the strange vibe I was feeling.

"I know them... I think..." Bella tilted her head to the left, staring intently at the bikers.

"Can we just go? Bella?" Jessica pulled at her arm, but Bella shook her off and took a step away.

"I want to see something."

"I don't think that's a good idea. Bella!" I called after her as she walked across the street. Jessica and I shared a look and stood there helplessly as we watched Bella approach the guys.

"Alright, we got a taker." One of the guys said to his friends, loud enough for us to hear his double meaning: too bad her friends are chickens.

Bella climbed onto one of the bikes and the guy revved the engine, showing off for his friends before disappearing around the corner. I turned to Jessica who was huffing angrily.

"You just had to say something about Edward." I hissed, my eyes narrowing. "We all know you were jealous that he chose her over you. We all know you're upset that Mike still has feelings for Bella. We all know! Jesus, Jessica. What the hell is wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? What about you! You haven't exactly been there for any of us either. You're too worried about Jacob, who's crushing on Bella! Yeah, we all know that too!" Jessica yelled, throwing her hands into the air.

A tense silence settled over us as we waited for Bella to return from her spontaneous joyride. I sighed in frustrated defeat.

"I'm sorry, Jess. I didn't mean it like that... and you're right. About Jacob having feelings for Bella. Guess we're kind of in the same boat there."

Falling for Autumn | Jacob BlackOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara