Chapter 26

Numb. That's what I was feeling. I didn't know what to think or how to feel.

Ulric was alive.

At least for now.

With a sigh I rested my forehead on the cold kitchen counter. I wasn't used to pondering things over, yet here I was doing just that.

Being near him was out of the question, at least until I have decided on what to do. The fact that he used to beat my mother was still freshly imprinted on my mind, igniting the desire to wrap my hands around his neck and squeeze the life out of him. Or maybe break every finger he ever dared to lay on her.

However, the image on his unconscious figure on the stretcher wasn't allowing me to rest. Especially the amount of the iron stinking red he'd been covered with. I might not be a medical expert, but even I could tell he was severely injured. The angle of the breaks and the bruising could only mean one thing.

Torture.

I wanted to think he deserved it, but I couldn't. No matter how hard I tried, no one deserved to be tortured like that. Not even him.

Yet without my sanity being spared, my thoughts reverted to my childhood; the countless nights spent wishing up to the Moon Goddess for my father to love me. All the heartbreak he caused every time he turned his back to me.

My thoughts were a mess. I was a wreck.

I didn't know which part to listen to. Should I be happy he's alive or start planning a way to kill him?

Right now Dr. Goode was fighting to keep him alive. To be honest I wouldn't blame him if he'd refused to treat him. No one expected him to help save the man who beat his mate.

However, the good old doctor didn't even flinch, as he'd been told who his patient was. His first job was to save people and this also included individuals he hated.

He had a heart of gold. My mother was lucky that she finally had a mate who loved her.

On top of everything, the chance of Ulric dying on the operating table still existed. I wasn't sure how I felt about that either. Would it be any different from the first time I thought he was dead?

Goddess, I needed something to distract me.

I knew my mother needed someone to comfort her right now, but I was in no state to help her. I couldn't even pull myself together, let alone hold her hand through all of this.

Blake was discussing the rogue lair with Alpha Bob, but I could still feel his rage through the mate bond. The moment he'd seen me walking up to our border with the other Alpha and his warriors, his composed posture changed into slumped shoulders and a deep exhale. However, once he got over the initial shock, I felt it. The rage rushing through his veins. He wasn't just angry, he was livid.

Then everything changed the moment I explained who the person on the stretcher was. Blake switched into his Alpha role, not allowing to be ruled by his emotions. Ulric was brought to the pack hospital, while Blake ordered me to wait for him in the house. For once, I didn't disagree.

So, here I was now, struggling to make sense of the world I was now living in.

The first thing to distract me was a set of approaching footsteps. Even before he entered the house, I knew who the newcomer was. Once inside the house he went straight for the kitchen and stopped in the open doorway.

My forehead was still resting on the cold marble and my eyes were still closed. I didn't have the energy to move. I just wanted to know how to feel. Or what to do.