Chapter 12

Dr. Bob came walking around the corner, sheepishly scratching the back of his head. It was obvious he hadn't anticipated me knowing that he'd been eavesdropping on Blake and I.

"Alpha. Luna." He greeted as he stopped next to us.

My teeth sank into my tongue at the word Luna. A desperate need to snap at him was lurking just below the surface and I barely managed to keep my mouth shut. Luna? As if.

However, because I had already agreed to remain in the pack, I would have to learn to accept being called Luna. No matter how much it felt like someone was scraping their nails against a blackboard.

"What will it be? Am I taking her away?"

"No. I don't want my mate to leave. Not now when I finally found her." His shoulders slumped at the mere thought of her going away. "I already made my decision. I want to accept her as my mate."

I wordlessly nodded, before diminishing the distance between us. My canines elongated and I grabbed the front of his white coat. With nothing but my strength I forced him to bend his knees, until his face was in my height; our noses only inches apart.

"Listen very carefully, because I'm going to say this only once." My black eyes were burning into his wide open ones. "If you ever do or say anything to hurt her, I will peel off your fingernails one by one. Then I'll gauge your eyes out with my bare hands and carve out her name across your forehead. Do we understand each other?"

His Adam's apple wobbled as he struggled to swallow. His eyes were wide open, but I wasn't sure if it was due to shock or fear. Either way I had his attention.

"I... understand. I won't hurt her." Despite being twice my age and weight, I could easily intimidate him. How I loved being scary.

"Good." I let go of his coat and patted it so it wouldn't wrinkle. "I'll let her know of your decision."

Without a glance at my mate I made my way back to my mother's room. Two sets of footsteps followed right behind me, but I paid them little mind.

Upon entering the room, I went straight to her bed. She was wringing the edge of the blanket she was supposed to be covered with, but I doubted she even noticed it. Her eyes were too busy switching between her mate and me.

Worry and a hint of fear clouded her eyes. She had after all just met her mate at the age of thirty-eight. As most werewolves found their mates between the ages of sixteen and twenty her hesitation was understandable. But it was also damn irritating.

"Good news." I plopped myself down onto the chair next to the bed. "Dr. Bob decided to accept you as his mate."

Both my mother and the doctor flinched at my bluntness, which brought a smirk to my face. How I loved embarrassing others, including my mom. She was easy to get a rise out of, as she was a stickler for politeness and elegance.

The doctor cleared his throat as he stepped closer to her. "It's Victor Goode actually. Not Bob."

"I know you're not Bob." She giggled. Yes, my adult mother actually giggled. "It's nice to meet you Dr. Goode. My name is Felicia."

"Please, call me Victor."

I wanted to barf at how proper and stiff they sounded. They began talking about something else, but I tuned them out. I didn't want to listen to my mother acting like a giddy teenager who just met her first love. It was disgusting.

Instead, I focused on my own mate, who stood near the doorway. He looked bemused while watching the two adults interact.

Who would have thought that of all the males my mother's mate would be in the same pack as my mate? Did this mean that if my mother and the doctor had found each other earlier, I would have been born and raised in this pack?