Chapter 23~Together~Updated

Mckayla
~

  Nina and I dressed in the fastest time I ever mastered and now for the last twenty minutes we had been running through the grassy layer of land when I finally picked up Kaylee's scent.

   There was high a cliff in our path with a narrow entrance heading inside of what appeared to be a cave. I would have to crawl through. I turned to some of the pack that had found her.

   "She's scared. You can smell her fear a half mile from here," Sonia whispered.

   I looked off a distance in thought and then faced the cave, sighing. I clenched both my fist tighter, releasing it as I relaxed my posture.

   What would I say to her? Would she want to listen? I couldn't move my feet closer to the cave. This is the first time since being here I was experiencing true fear and worry of being rejected. More than being rejected but    being hated. I was different from other Weres and if she deserved anything at this moment was a normal Were for her mother.

   Nina stood beside me and brushed her hand over my shoulder. "Be honest with her and the right words will come out."

   Rachel came up beside me with Sara holding hands. "We will all be out here waiting; for you and her."

   I looked down at Rachel's fingers linked with Sara and smiled lightly. They looked great together, I had to admit. I turned all the way around noticing the rest of the pack, even Malcolm and felt...overwhelmed. They were standing with support and love in their eyes. That word I use to cringe on. Love. I hadn't felt that in years, but now it was invading me. My heart felt like it was receiving the most profound massage ever given. I swallowed trying to decide if I should fight this feeling.

   "You're a part of this pack," Cullen said confidently. "Accept it."

   I was afraid too. I turned away, rejecting them and waited a long moment before facing them again. They hadn't look hurt or angry. They only seemed to fight my struggle against them, harder.

   "Mckayla..." I turned to Nina, watchful. "Go to your daughter."

   I nodded. I turned to the cave and bent low, sizing up the passage to the cave. I went through head first, crawling through the hole. I began sliding further in for another four feet before my fingers touched soil.

   Once I was completely through I stayed crouched inspecting the ambiance. My wolf eyes glowed as special night vision kicked in. It would appear that a dark cave was a scary scenery but it actually looked quite cozy. Too elegant for me to ever rest in, with how wild I could get.

   It wasn't much place to go. There was no more than three hundred square foot of room. I scanned the cave searching for Kaylee when my eyes finally found a small figure in a far corner opposite of me.

   There Kaylee was, shifted wolf, bundled near a corner. Her gold eyes glared frightful of me.

   I didn't want to scare her any further so I decided to sit where I was. I didn't speak right away. Every time I wanted to open my mouth, I closed it back afraid to speak.

   I finally sighed, closing my eyes. As I slowly opened them back up, I looked at her with an urge to take away her fear. This wasn't just about me. This was about her. She'd been through so much...I could tell and just like me, I lost the ability to trust.

   How could I convince her to trust me; a complete stranger, when I couldn't trust the pack standing outside that cave for us?

   I would have to open up my heart. I shuddered a breath as I suddenly felt instinct to go and hold her. "This caves pretty cool...huh?"