Four Little Hands

I could see the boys waving at me from the back seat

I could see the boys waving at me from the back seat. In reply, I held up the basket of muffins and smiled. I got into the passenger side of the vast black truck. "Hey," Banks effused. "Eric and Jude, this is my... friend Daya. Daya these are my little brothers, Eric and Jude."

"Hi, it's nice to meet you," I nervously squeaked. Banks has mentioned so many times how important they are to him and I really didn't want to mess up that moment.

"Can I get one," Jude asked with such excitement in his eyes that could only be found in a child that hasn't been jaded.

I handed them the basket, "Yeah, I brought them for you!"

"What do you say," Banks requested of them.

"Thank you, Daya," they said in unison but I noticed that Eric definitely didn't sound as excited. Banks started driving down the road.

"What park are we going to? I forgot to ask earlier," I asked wondering if I unintentionally lied to my mom again about where I was going.

Jude beamed, "The best park in town."  With just a subtle nod I could tell that Eric lacked enthusiasm. I couldn't tell if it was me or the situation in general.

"The one on 6th street. Also known as the best one," Banks laughed at his little brother.

Jude bounced in his seat, "It has a pirate ship and the most beautiful mermaid I've ever seen."

"You know she isn't real, right," Eric murmured towards his younger brother.

I gasped, "Is it possible to be more beautiful than Ariel?"

He nodded excitedly, "Ariel is a close second, but Siren has her beat."

I hummed, "The park near my house is great too. I went there all the time when I was your age. It doesn't have a pirate ship, but it's a great place to be." We listened to the boys bicker about their pirate adventure on the rest of the way to the park.

Jude ran right out of the truck, and straight to the pirate ship with an, "Aye, me hearties!" Eric shoved his hands in his pockets and merely walked after his brother.

Jude ran right out of the truck, and straight to the pirate ship with an, "Aye, me hearties!" Eric  shoved his hands in his pockets and merely walked after his brother