The Twins

It was nearly midnight, and yet I couldn't sleep. I felt like part of me was missing. It was as though I was lost in the world. I rolled over onto my side and flipped on my lamp. There on my side table were my favorite pictures. One of Brit and I, after a game against troy. Our white uniforms had mud all over them, and our hair was falling out of our pony tails, but we had the biggest smiles. The next photo was of Bryce and me. He was standing behind me with his arms around my waist. My hands were on top of his and we were both smiling. The last photo was of my mom, my dad and I standing in front of our new house.

I let out a sigh. Everyone was gone except for Brit. Mom was so busy with work, I hardly ever saw her. I turned onto my back and stared at the ceiling. My eyes were on the verge of closing when a scream jolted me awake. The second scream made me jump out of bed. I ran towards Brits room. She sat in bed, with a pained look on her face and the sheets soaked. "THE BABY!" she screamed.

Oh shit! I quickly rushed to help her. She got up, and we walked slowly down the stairs. I grabbed Brits keys from the key dish by the door and we walked out. I stopped in my tracks when I didn't see Brits car in the drive way. "Where the hell is my car?!" Brit screamed, gritting her teeth.

"Hold on, I'll go call an ambulance!" I told her, helping her sit down. Running back inside, I searched for my phone. I found it on my side table and quickly dialed 911. My hands were shaking as I pressed the phone to my ear.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My friends water just broke. And I think she's going into labor, I said, my voice shaking."

"Okay, ma'am, where are you located?"

"2136 Sycamore Drive."

"Alright, I'll send an ambulance, and they should be there as soon as possible."

I hung up and ran back down stairs. Brit was clutching her stomach, and breathing heavily. "An ambulance is coming!" I told her.

I gave her my hand and she squeezed it. About 10 minutes later and ambulance pulled up, they pulled out a stretcher, and came to get her.

"Ma'am how far apart are your contractions?" one of them asked.

"Not very far apart!" she cried.

The man nodded, and loaded her onto the ambulance. "S-summer?" she asked.

"Yes, Brit. I'm right here."

"Please, try to get a hold of Gus." She asked.

As shocked as I was, I didn't question it. I searched through my phone, and found his number, I added *67, so it would show up as Unknown. I knew if he saw mine or Brits number he would immediately ignore it.

It rang 4 times before he picked up. "Hello?"

"Gus?" I asked.

"Yes? Who is this?"

"Your old girlfriends, best friend!"

"Wait, which one?"

I gritted my teeth, this guy was such a slime ball. "The one you left behind in O'Fallon! Remember Britney? Well you got her pregnant, and she's having your babies right now!"

Instead of a shocked response, I was met with the dial tone. The bastard had hung up on me.

~*~*~

It was 10 in the morning. Brit was lying in bed, exhausted from giving birth. She held a beautiful baby girl with beautiful green eyes, like her mother. While I held her handsom baby boy, who had soft brown eyes, like Gus. "Have you decided on names?" I asked her.

"I was thinking Alice and Avery." She said, tucking the blanket in around the arms of the sleeping baby. "Those are wonderful names." I told her, tucking the blue blanket around Avery.

"Summer, I've been thinking long and hard about this."

"About what? The name?" I asked.

"No, about who should take care of Alice and Avery, if anything were too happened to me."

I looked at her confused. "I want you to be kids godmother."

"But, what about your sister?" I asked, shocked.

Brit let out a humorless laugh. "Her? She dropped me just as fast as my mom did. But you haven't left my side. In fact, if it weren't for you and your mom, I'd be living on the streets."

"Well, I'm honored to be their godmother." I said with a smile.

Brit matched my smile, as she lightly touched her daughters cheek. "So who's the godfather?" I asked curiously.

"Well, I was thinking Bryce."

"Really?"

"Yes. If I can't be the one to raise Alice and Avery, then you two would be perfect." She said with a smile.

I was about to say something when there was a knock at the door. "Come in." Brit said.

In stepped Gus. His hair was slicked up like it was when he still attended high school. But his five o'clock shadow seemed to be something more permanent. The air in the room was so thick; I thought I was going to choke on it. "Summer, could you please take Alice." Brit asked. I reached over and took sleeping Alice from Britney's arms, carfully holding the two bundles of joy in my arms.. I glared at Gus as I walked out of the room.

Walking down the hallway and to the left there was the room where all the newborn babies were. I walked over and placed Alice in one bed, and Avery in the one next to hers. I tucked their blankets around their tiny bodies before leaving.

I walked slowly down the hallways. My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I reached for it "Hello?"

"Summer?"

"Oh hey Bryce." I said joyfully.

"I just got your text. How is Britney doing?" he asked.

"She's doing fine. So are the babies. Oh my gosh Bryce, her babies are so adorable. Brit just had me take the two of them to that room where all the babies are."

"I'm shocked Brit isn't holding babies 24/7." Bryce said on the other end.

"Well, she was but then you're not going to believe what happened. Gus showed up!" I said.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, he just showed up. Then Brit told me to take the babies and leave the room. So I'm hoping she's kicking his ass."

Bryce chuckled at that.

"Hey Bryce, come on we're heading out! Are you coming?" A voice on the other end said.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Oh, just my roommate Josh. We're getting ready to go get pizza. Can I call you tonight?" he asked.

I frowned, "Yeah, sure."

"I love you." Bryce said.

"I love you too." I said before hanging up and shoving my phone back into my pocket.

Before heading back to Brits room, I went to go check on the babies. There were both fast asleep and turned towards each other, even though they were in separate beds. A smile crept onto my face. I couldn't wait to have a child of my own someday.

Walking down the hallway i made my way back to Brits room. I pushed open the door, to find Brit by herself. "He left already?"

"I told him he's got a lot of making up to do. So I sent him to go get us some Starbucks." She said with a smug look.

I couldn't help but chuckle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!