Chapter Three: Tasered a Pigeon

"You're going to need me, Lieutenant. I know more about androids than you do," Connor says to Hank. The Lieutenant sighs in response but nods eventually.

"But you, missy, stay here. I don't want you hurt. You can look at the evidence after we've secured the area," Hank says to his daughter, pointing his finger in an almost dramatic way. Aurora nods, walking back to where the motel clerk is.

Hank and Connor go to room 28 on the second floor. When they open it, the room is empty.

"They're gone."

---

"I want that fucking android destroyed," the clerk asks me when I try to get him to recount last night. At that point, I'm just scribbling on my notepad and not actually taking notes since he's not saying anything useful.

"Sure, sir. I'll make sure to pour peroxide on the kid too."

"Is this a fucking joke to you?" the man angrily asks, slamming his fist on the counter and leaning over the counter.

"Do you want arrested for assaulting a police officer?" Detective Reed says, coming to my rescue.

"Of course not, officer." The man turns away, not making eye contact with either one of us. I follow Gavin out onto the sidewalk.

"I'd say you owe me, huh?" he grins, winking.

"I still have a taser. I would've used it on him. So it was all unnecessary, honestly."

"Just go out with me, Rory," Gavin all but whines.

I roll my eyes but smile. "Fine. No kissing or trying to screw me. Just an innocent date."

"Deal."

"Shit, that's them! STOP! POLICE!"

We look over to see Chris shouting, pointing at two running figures. Gavin stumbles into me when Connor pushes him out of the way.

"Fucking piece of Cyberlife shit," he swears, dusting himself off. "If he wants to be an asshole, he can chase them himself."

I sigh, finding myself running after him. Hank and I come to a fence, the android and the young girl just on the other side.

"Hey! Where you goin'?" Hank yells, pulling Connor down from the fence.

"I can't let them get away."

"They won't! They'll never make it to the other side," Hank tries to reason with them.

"I can't take that chance."

"Hey, you will get yourself killed! Do NOT go after 'em, Connor, that's an order!"

When Connor goes to climb again, I taser him in the side. His grip on the fence loosens, and he slides onto the ground.

"I hope I didn't break him," I tell Hank, putting my weapon away. He pats my head lovingly, going to help Connor up. I watch as the deviant and the little girl make it to the other side of the highway.

"You let them get away," Connor says to me angrily.

"Yeah, I did."

Connor follows behind the father-daughter duo after they purchase their food from a not so sanitary food truck.

"I'm sorry for my behavior back at the police station. I didn't mean to be unpleasant," Connor says, trying to patch up his weak relationship with the Lieutenant. He didn't feel as though he should apologize to Aurora, though. She tasered him.

"Oh, wow. You've even got a brown-nosing apology program! Guys at CyberLife thought of everything, huh?" Hank says, taking a bite from his burger.