Chapter Nineteen

Word Count: 1478

~Rosie

I slump down on the couch, unsure of what to do.

Part of me wants to think Time needed to say that to me as a way to make himself feel better. A way of venting, maybe. Either way, I'm sitting here, unsure of what to do. I don't want to touch anything, and risk leaving anymore of me behind than I already have. By tomorrow, I'm praying we will move on to perhaps a less desolate area. So, if Time wanders off again, it won't be so treacherous to follow him

The sound of cracking bracken and rustling grass outside catches my attention. Getting up from the couch, I peer out the window - only slightly murky with a lack of tlc - hoping to catch sight of Time. Thankfully, it's him.

However, it's not. It's Time, but he wears tramping boots a dark shirt and a huge pack on his back. His hair is ruffled, shoulders slouched.

This is Time from a million years ago.

Ducking down, I conceal myself from his sight. What is he doing here? Time must have brought us a day ahead of when he planned, meaning I'm stuck in a cabin with the original Time about to walk in, and meet his mate for the first time...A million years too early.

I can hear him kicking off his boots on the porch. Quickly, I check the other rooms, looking for a place to hide. All I can find is a bedroom and a bathroom. Deciding on the bedroom, I clamber into a closet, hiding myself within thick coats and sweaters. This feeling so foolish, but I'm not about to risk everything to get out of here.

I'm not sure how long I stayed in the closet. Time seems to tuck by so slowly, as I remain hidden in the darkness, listening closely.

I can hear him, rustling around his room.

Looking past he door hinges, through the slight crack, I don't see much. Sometimes he would wander by, but it was just an outline of him that I saw. Keeping my breathing low, I remained praying the Time I know would come back, and remedy this problem. He just had to walk off at the perfect time...

As things go quiet outside the closet, I consider sneaking out and through the window. However, I feel something brush up against me, casting my attention into the dark shadows beneath the hung-up coats.

"This relates uncannily to a tragic love story," someone whispers in my ear.

I flinch, looking next to me, but seeing nothing but darkness. I know someone is there, and not just because they just spoke. I can feel their presence. I can smell the cloying scent of jasmine.

"Who's there?" I question shakily, tucking myself into the corner of the closet, hoping they aren't here to hurt me. It's a man, but the deepness of his voice, but it's also smooth, and accented. He sounds similar to Time in a way. He's an immortal.

"I'm here to save you from your mate," he says.

At that moment, it dawns on me, that I'm sitting in the presence of Sinful. I can tell by the voice, and the way it sends shivers down my spine. And not in a nice way. Naturally, I'm absolutely terrified, however, I'm stuck in a closet. What is worse, jumping out and risking being seen by Time, or staying in here to be potentially murdered by a powerful immortal who wants me dead.

I think I'll take the former option. So without hesitating another second, I burst through the closet door and into Time's bedroom. Thankfully he isn't in here, but there is no doubt he would have heard the commotion, so I don't waste anytime.

Sliding the bedroom window up, I clamber out, not even turning to look back over my shoulder. All I know is I need to get out of here.

My feet hit the ground for only a second before I take off running into the forest. I can't hear anyone following me, but I have a feeling Time knows that the sound wasn't something he can just brush off. Even as much as I want it to be.