58. In Which Jaxon Remains Still

❝Time was passing like a hand waving from a train I wanted to be on

I hope you never have to think about anything as much as I think about you❞

-Jonathan Safran Foer

🚗 Jaxon 🚗

Penelope attempt to kiss me for a second time.

And for a second time, I cleared my throat so loud that she skirted away, fearful that I'd lodge a spit wad into her cornea.

I was immobile inside this tightly packed bedroom. The small bit of sunlight I was given was my only true measure of what time of day it was and if nightfall had arrived. I felt an ease of relief when daybreak came in, brightening up the stuffy, dusty room with a sprinkle of hope.

I wanted to cry out in disbelief at that thought.

Hope? In this hell hole?

How could hope survive in a dark room like this?

I grimaced, turning to my side.

How hasn't depression eaten me alive already?

I was grasping at straws, pondering in desperation how many more days would have to pass for me to cave into Penelope's allure and glittery pink lip gloss. I usually knew when she was near based on her aroma. Dating her after all those years gave me that kind of sharp intuitions. I knew her scent, her taste, the pattern in which she walked, and the way she sounded when it was only air coming out of her throat.

She was a heavy breather, not because of her weight, but because she had asthma and a serious case of it as well. It left her with a nasal issue as well, making her auditable at far range. 

Penelope hated that about her—annoyed that she couldn't sneak up on me. I thought it was cute, dorky and adorable. It was one of the first few quarks about her I loved...when it was still possible to love that face of hers.

"Shh..."

I flinched upright.

The lights were all turned off, and from what I could see, daylight was far from approaching. I was in complete darkness. That, along with the sound of the floorboards creaking, caused me to jerk my body into a rising position. The motion pained my spine, but I was too ahead of myself, wiggling away from the sounds before me.

"Fuck you woke him up."

A man was speaking, one I couldn't recognize.

That alone frightened me to my core.

Like cusps of iron on my ankles, the man at the head of my bed held me in place.

I felt like a fish in a fishbowl, trapped and surrounded by spectators.