Chapter XX - Elimination

Through the help of Polyperchon, they had presented their request to Perdiccas. Thus Roxana set to draft her letter to the two queens. She wrote it by candlelight, licking her quill pen in delight. The letter to Stateira went like this:

"Dear Lady Stateira,

I give you my greetings from Babylon. You must have heard of Alexander's death, and I know that it is truly a grievous thing you as well as it is for me. Despite the circumstances, I hope that you are doing well in Susa.

The reason why I am writing this letter to you is to apologize for that day when I refused to become your ally. I realize that I had been too caught up in my jealousy, against you and my husband Alexander, to see the good and beauty in you.

I know that it is too late, but I wish for you to accept my apology. We shall now be allies, with Alexander deceased, together we can conquer his generals vying after the lands. All I hope for is that you would recognize this as a letter of reconciliation. If you accept my heart, then please, visit me at Babylon. 

Roxana

To Parysatis, Roxana wrote the same things, telling her that she wished to be her friend. Then, having sealed these letters up and placing on her waxen royal seal, she handed them to Bahar.

"Make sure it gets delivered to Polyperchon," She said. Bahar nodded. When Polyperchon had received the letter, he handed it to Perdiccas in the dark. Perdiccas gave his consent for the ordeal, and it was given to the mailman who was to make the journey to Susa and give the two queens their letters. Meanwhile, Roxana gave a sigh of satisfaction and rubbed her hands together. Now, all she had to do was wait. The prey was in front of her, but the prey did not notice the lion, lurking in the nearby reeds. 

***

"Ah! You have come at last!" Roxana feigned joy as she jumped up to embrace the two astounded women, Stateira and Parysatis. They were ushered into her chamber, and on the table, she laid out a feast for them. They sat down, putting on graceful postures, and smiled at Roxana. Roxana smiled back.

"How has Susa been?" She asked, trying to make small talk.

"It was lonely," Parysatis spoke. She looked at Roxana with jubilant eyes, "But when I heard that you were inviting us to Babylon, I was positively delighted. Babylon is so different from Persia."

"Indeed?" Said Roxana.

"Yes, for sure. I suppose the manner of people here in Babylon is more brazen than the Persians. We Persians or Sogdians," Said Stateira, smiling at Roxana, "are more courteous." She took the cup of wine from the table and drew it to her lips while Roxana watched. Good, she thought. They did not suspect anything.

When Stateria and Parysatis had finished eating, indicated by wiping their dainty lips on white handkerchiefs, Roxana signalled to Bahar. Bahar, who had been standing in the corner, looked at her with sad eyes then went outside. Promptly, the door burst open and several guards came in. Leading them was Polyperchon. The guards came in and took the two queens by their arms, while the queens looked at Roxana confused.

"What is the meaning of this?" Demanded Lady Stateira, while Parysatis looked at Roxana with wide eyes. 

"Take them away," She said icily, and they were marched outside her chamber to two carriages waiting for them. Stateira and Parysatis were bound and placed inside one with guards, while Roxana and Polyperchon rode the other carriage. This area was at her side of the palace, thus no one was there to witness this. The carriages rolled to a fatal destination - a cliff. 

"My queen, this may be stressful to watch, especially when you have a child inside..." Said Polyperchon, but Roxana would not hear any of this. She climbed out of the carriage and looked at the two queens who were looking at the edge of the rocky cliff fearfully. 

"Now, Lady Stateira and Lady Parysatis," Said Roxana. Her eyes held a empty, hollow look in them as she spoke. It caused even the guards to grow uncomfortable.

"You must know, that I am not doing this because I hold something against you personally. In fact, I would say that I quite like the both of you. However, if you have any logic, you would know that three queens cannot exist in the same world. Three women cannot be the wives of one man. Likewise, two heirs cannot take one throne. One would have to be eliminated. It is either you or I. You already know this very well," Said Roxana, piercing Stateira with her gaze. Stateira was levelling her with a glare. Parysatis was trembling.

"Make it swift," Roxana commanded the guards, jerking her head at the two women. 

"No! Please," Stateira began to plead, "Do not do this. Did you not say that you wished to be my ally?" Roxana did not respond while the guards took her by the arms and dragged her to the edge of the cliff.

"Please! For the sake of Alexander!" She cried. Tears rolled down Roxana's eyes, but she made no move to stop what was going on.

"Throw their bodies down a well," She said, and turned around to go. She walked blindly before she stopped under a palm tree and slumped onto the ground. She knew that she would pay for this crime one day. Whether or not the people she killed had been innocent or not, she had taken lives and had become a murderer.  

***

Back at court, as usual, Perdiccas was standing beside Arrhidaeus. Once she entered through the chamber doors, her expression stoic but heart bleeding, she met Perdiccas' eye and nodded. Understanding that she had done it, he broke the gaze and proceeded with the court's doings.

"Selecuos, you may speak," He said. Selecuos came forwards.

"It is about the transferring of Alexander's body," He said. Immediately Roxana looked up, her eyes widening.

"Ptolemy has hijacked the parade that was transferring the corpse from Babylon to Macedonia. He wishes Alexander's body to be buried in Egypt, even while Alexander has stated his wish to be buried in Macedonia before he died."

Perdiccas slammed a fist against the wall in rage. 

"What do you think should be done, my queen?" He asked. Roxana looked up in surprise. She did not know that General Perdiccas cared about her opinion. But this was her husband's body they were talking about. Thus Roxana clenched her fists and spoke loudly and clearly.

"If it was Alexander's wish to be buried in Macedonia, then it shall be done. Do not show any mercy to those who have disobeyed his final wish. Go and bring your commander back to his homeland." At the end, she tried her best to refrain her voice from growing soft. Her little speech seemed to have stirred something in the generals, who were essentially lifelong friends of Alexander the Great. They cast their heads down soberly.

"You heard the queen," said Perdiccas. "We shall prevent Ptolemy from carrying Alexander's body into Egypt."

"For Alexander," Spoke out Lysimachus.

"For Alexander," The others repeated. Their voices echoed throughout the expanse of the large chamber.