Chapter X - Roxana

They were still outside, having placed the commander on the ground under a canopy that was tied to tree branches. The soldiers crowded around, and the generals looked on with pale faces.

The physician had determined that an incision had to be made to pull the arrow out of Alexander's chest, but upon announcing the news, everyone had looked away. At last, Perdiccas had stepped up and told everyone he would do it, an air of mustered valiance about him.

Roxana now waited with baited breath as Perdiccas took a dagger and cut roughly along Alexander's chest. She was horrified, but her wide eyes were transfixed. Beads of perspiration were visible on Perdiccas' face as he meticulously did his work.

He plunged a finger inside the opening of the wound, causing Roxana and the others to gasp, and then he fiddled around to look for the metal arrowhead. Alexander groaned loudly, and with every groan, the people flinched.

Perdiccas seemed to be satisfied with what he had found, and he put both of his hands around the butt of the arrow and slowly pulled. Blood surged out. Alexander moaned in pain. Roxana's eyes flitted to Alexander's bare, muscular chest. When the arrow came free from his flesh, they all slumped in relief.

Alexander stayed unconscious for four days, much to the panic of all of the army. Roxana did not want to admit it, but worry was harrowing her as well. She found that she could not leave Alexander's side while he slept. At the moment he looked at peace, and Roxana marvelled at his beauty from upclose. He did not look dangerous at all like this. The sun cast warm yellow rays through the crack of the tent's entrance to the bed where he lied.  She drew her face right in front of his and listened to his steady breathing, then with a trembling hand, she touched his soft, golden curls and growing bolder, ran her hands through them. Alexander did not stir. 

"Wake up." She whispered. "If you do not wake up then I will be the one to shoot you with an arrow."

She turned around and walked towards the table with the water jug. She was thirsty from all this waiting, and worrying herself sick that he might never wake up. Then what would become of her? She, a foreign queen, alone amongst a whole army of Macedonians? What would she do as a widow? Could she even return to her home? No. Alexander had to wake up. 

Turning back around, she approached Alexander's bed. Sitting down on the edge of it, she sighed deeply and drank the water. A hand wound around her waist and pulled her down onto the bed.

"I believe you are not in the position to throw threats at me, Roxana." Gasping, she swivelled around and saw that Alexander was awake, one eyebrow raised and his arm propping himself up from the cushions. He was not smiling at all, but his eyes carried a twinkle of amusement.

"I must tell the others that you have woken up." Roxana said briskly, trying to get up from the bed. His arm would not let her.

"No, stay."

"But we must tell the men - "

"Stay, Roxana." It was an order. She squirmed uncomfortably at his gaze. Then she defiantly raised her chin and stared him squarely in the eye. It was a mistake. A traitorous tear slipped down Roxana's cheek.

He suddenly tugged her to him, causing her to fall on his chest. He gave an oomph, as it seemed she had fallen in his chest wound.

"I am truly sorry! I will call the physician at once!" Roxana exclaimed and tried to move out of the way. But his legs wrapped around her, preventing her from escaping.

"There is no need," He said hoarsely against her neck.

"Have you missed me that much, my lord?" She asked. 

"Call me Alexander. Yes, I've missed you very, very much." His legs wound tightly around her waist and pulled her even closer to him. Roxana felt her face grow hot.

"Alexander!" At that moment the tent flap opened and Roxana took this opportunity to disengage herself. Alexander let go of her, amused.

It was Lysimachus, standing at the entrance with tousled hair and red-rimmed eyes. It seemed that he had not even changed his armour from the battle since Alexander had fallen. Lysimachus walked briskly to Alexander, who looked at him with a gentle smile on his face. Lysimachus hugged him hard, while Roxana cleared her throat awkwardly.

"Sorry. I did not see you there," said Lysimachus, noticing Roxana now. Roxana smiled at him. Suddenly, he knelt down on one knee in front of her.

"I owe you my life, my queen. If it wasn't for your arrows I would be in the same condition as Alexander."

"What do you mean Lysimachus?" Alexander asked, attempting to sit up.

"After you were injured, the queen used your bow and arrow to shoot down a man who was about to attack me and also several other enemy soldiers at Malli."

"It seems like my wife is better than ten of my Macedonian soldiers combined." said Alexander, causing Roxana's heart to swell.

Suddenly more generals rushed into the tent, followed by some of the servants and soldiers. Roxana stood at Alexander's bedside as they all saw with their own eyes that the commander was alive.

"My lord, there is a message from the queen Olympias." Roxana looked on as a messenger hurried to Alexander with a scroll under his arm. He handed it to the commander, who unrolled it and stared at the parchment for a while. When he spoke, his calm, steady demeanour had returned. 

"I have kept you all waiting, to my deepest regrets." There was absolute silence around the room. "However, this incident proves that we must not be hasty with our conquests. My mother advises us to cease our campaigns for the time being and return to Persia. There, we will strengthen ourselves, strengthen the army, and strengthen our people." There was a rumble of excitement amongst the soldiers, who were excited at the prospect of going home.

"In that case, which route are we taking to return to Persia?" It was Hephaestion who asked this. He had rushed into the tent like a madman and now stood crying at Alexander's bedside.

"We will use the Gerdosian desert for our crossing, a land where no one has crossed before." There was an uproar of murmurs at this announcement and a sense of anxiety pervaded the air.

"Forgive me my lord, but would that not be too risky? You have said yourself that no one has crossed this desert," one bold soldier called out.

"The Gerdosian crossing is my final decision," replied Alexander. "See to it that all of us are supplied for the journey."