Chapter Nine. Lennox.

My meeting Friday with Kelly went well, even though by the end of the morning, my hand was cramping because of filling so many papers out.

After all of the paperwork was out of the way, she'd given me a tour of the complex, through all of the offices, and even the practice ice and coaches offices.

Not many people had been present there, but I had been overwhelmed with introductions to people in the office. She must have noticed it because she told me not to worry, that it had taken her months to learn everyone's names.

Because the St. Paul Storm franchise had been doing so well in previous seasons, the morale in the offices were high ahead of the upcoming season. I couldn't wait to get started working for them.

Due to upcoming appointments, Kelly said it would be a week or two before I started and that was fine by me. I was glad to soak up all the time I could with Saylor before the real world came calling.

Before I went to pick Saylor up from my parents' house, I decided to stop by my apartment and change. I was ready to get into my comfy attire.

As I exited the stairwell on the 4th floor, I saw a woman with dark hair standing at Connor's door knocking incessantly. She was clearly annoyed that she wasn't getting an answer.

I stopped a few feet away from her. "There's no one there," I said.

She whipped her head toward me, her hair flying. Her dark eyes glared at me and all I wanted to do was back away and forget I'd said anything. "My boyfriend lives here," she said.

Boyfriend? Connor hadn't mentioned a girlfriend when he'd been drilling me about me being single, but then again, why would he? Maybe he was a player like he'd insinuated that first day. I didn't know him. But I hadn't seen this woman before, not that I'd lived here long at all.

"Well, there's no one there," I reiterated. I didn't know this woman. Maybe she did know Connor, maybe she didn't. But I don't think he'd appreciate me going around making it known that he lived there. He was a famous athlete, after all.

She huffed and knocked again. I rolled my eyes and walked away. I'd tried. I wasn't going to try and help her if she was going to be rude about it. But I had to remember to ask Connor about it when he got back because if this was the kind of woman he was into, then he most definitely wasn't my type of guy.

When I left my apartment again 20 minutes later, the woman was still standing at the door.

"I can feel your judgment and it isn't appreciated," she hissed when I walked by.

I held my hands up. "Look, I don't care if you stand there all night. But I'm telling you that there is no one there."

"Then where is he?" she snapped.

I shrugged. "That's not any of your business," I told her.

"But..." she sputtered. "But he's my boyfriend," she whined like a child who didn't get her way.

"Then you should know the answer to that question," I informed her and walked away without another glance.

"Bitch," I heard her mutter under her breath. I rolled my eyes and kept walking.

>>>>

The traffic today was insane, and getting to my parents' house was next to impossible. I was sitting on the highway, completely stopped. I scrolled through the music on my phone, needing to change it up a bit.

I had just selected a throwback song when my phone vibrated with a text from an unknown number.

It was a local number so I opened it.