Chapter Three

The next morning as I was getting ready for work, my phone started ringing. Cat's signature ringtone was blaring. I managed to answer before she hung up.

"Hun, what happened to you? There was no sign of you after Sandra and I left."

"Well, I left out of sheer panic." I explained to her what happened last night. Changing the call to video, Cat smiled and said a quick greeting.

"How was your date with the hot bartender?"

Cat threw her head back and laughed. "Quite a night with him. He took me to a diner and we shared a milkshake. It was loads of fun and we're going out again tonight."

"I have to go to work. Don't forget to use a condom, Cat."

She laughed again and wished me luck.

Before leaving my house, I looked at myself through my mirror. After one deep breath, my nerves settled down and relaxed. My heart continued pounding in my ears. The only way to solve my issue was to face David Lawson.

At work, the same female employee greeted me. Her blonde hair was curled and pinned up. She flashed a smile in my direction. It was bright and perky.

Typical blonde. I glanced down guiltily at my own blonde hair. It's been awhile since I've dyed it, I thought.

"Why are you so dressed up?" I asked, adding "Emma" after glancing at her name tag.

"Oh, my boyfriend has a special night planned." She was looking at someone and put on the biggest smile I've ever seen. "Good morning, David!" she chimed.

My heart slammed into my throat. Slowly turning around, I looked up to meet his gaze. He absently waved at Emma, just kept staring at me.

"Madeline, some boxes need to be opened and organized," he said. His eyes lingered on me a little longer before he left.

Emma squealed and grabbed my arm. "Oh my gosh, Madeline!" She was practically leaping with joy. "David is so into you!"

I shrugged her off of me. "What are you talking about?" I glimpsed back in the direction that he disappeared. He was helping a customer but he kept flashing glances back at me.

"Didn't you see the way he was looking at you?"Emma continued.

I ignored her and went back to work unloading the boxes.

I was just about to sign out of work when David came up behind me. He cleared his throat as if he was trying to get my attention. Letting out a breath, I turned to face him.

"Can I help you?" I asked with a little bit of an attitude sneaking into my tone.

"I just wanted to apologize about my behavior last night." His expression was full of sorrow and regret. Almost like puppy eyes.

Sadly, his emotions caused me to soften and go easier on him. Forgiving him was considerable as long as he wasn't jumping for a chance of makeup sex.

"-to you."

I was startled out of my thoughts, blushing heavily. "What?" I blinked a few time to show confusion.

"I said 'let me make it up to you,'" David offered. "How about dinner? Or a movie?" His eyes were begging me to say yes and my heart did a little flip.

His mouth opened to make the offer again but I raised my hand to cut him off. "We can go out to dinner but only as coworkers. Not a date, okay?"

"Of course. It's not counted as a date."