To Forget The Past: XVIII

Trigger Warning: Death by cancer.

"He died," My voice cracked painfully. Kane snapped up his head to look at me, only now making eye contact with me during this whole mess. "He died from cancer, okay? So, I'm fucking sorry for keeping photos of a boy I loved two years ago and still love to this day. He was my best-fucking-friend, and now," I breathed in deeply, the cold air scorched my lungs. "He's gone, and I will never see him again, I never even got to fucking say goodbye."

"Everest-"

"And that photo that you're so mad about, yeah, I remember the exact day it was taken."

"It was a week before Aaron had told me about him having Leukemia, a week before I yelled at him for not telling me sooner, three weeks before he died, two months before my sixteenth birthday, exactly two years and two months ago. So, I'm fucking sorry for keeping the photo."

Burning tears that felt like acid ran down my cheeks, letting out everything I've been trying to suppress for years, finally being poured out. I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe. My breaths became short and ragged, I wanted to scream it burned so badly.

"Everest," Kane's eyes were swirling with thousands of emotions, ones I couldn't find through the haze of my mind.

"Everest!" He shouted; his voice seeming so clear, yet miles away.

"Everest, you have to breathe!"

I wanted to scream, but the breath that required to do so would hurt so much. I can't, please just make it go away. I'm tired. I'm so bloody tired.

I couldn't help the poisoned memories from swirling in my head, as I let the world go black.

"Hello?" My voice spoke out in the quiet room as I talked into the phone. Spinning carelessly in my rolling chair, I waited for the person who called me to speak up.

"Is this Everest?" The voice croaked out softly as if they were crying from the other line. Sitting up in my chair, planting my feet on the carpet covered ground, an uneasiness flooded my stomach.

"Yeah, who is this? Is something wrong?"

A cry, then a soft, quiet breath.

"—Mrs. Worth, it's about Aaron, you have to come here right away." My heart turned into ice at his name, though my legs already were rushing me out the door to the driveway, my mind racing with everything that could've happened. Please, not yet.

"I'm here to see Aaron Worth" I stated as I ran to the front desk of the nearest hospital. The older women behind the desk nodded, giving me a room number, completely ignoring the fact that I started sprinted down the hallway.

Floor C, Room 119

Panting heavily, I made my way up two sets of long white stairs and down three long corridors. I stopped in front of a dark wooden door labeled 119. Catching my breath, I pushed my way through the door, my feet halting in sight of him.

My hands mindlessly made their way to my open mouth, tears already flooding my hazel eyes. "Aaron?" I croaked out hoarsely.

He lied there in bed, covered in perfectly white bed sheets, the top of his body covered in a hospital gown. His blonde hair was messy and tangled as if he had completely given up.