Chapter Twenty-One

David's POV- part three

"Hi David, where have you been hiding, I haven't seen you in awhile. I can't believe that you would be in a place like this. There are too many negros here. I still think that they should be separate from the rest of us." Harold said passionately. David rolled his eyes and sighed. Before he could say anything Harold decided to order himself a vanilla milkshake. After he got his milkshake he had only had a few sips when he noticed a young dark skinned African American man who was a server. Harold scooted his milkshake of the table and it splattered all over the floor. "Clean this up now, it's what you are paid to do." Harold said sneeringly. The young server started to wipe up the spilled drink when David got up and started to help him clean it up. It didn't take very long to clean it up and when David was done helping cleaning, he sat back down. Harold couldn't believe that his friend was helping that man. Harold got up from the booth and started to head out the door when he turned around and he said to David " You better watch your back, you never know when you might have an unfortunate accident. A few minutes later Sharon emerged from the bathroom. "I am sorry that I took so long." David and Sharon finished their milkshakes and then David decided to drive Sharon home. During the drive he was really quiet, he kept thinking about Harold had said.
Sharon lived in an affluent part of Lexington called Chevy Chase. When David got to her house, he got out of his car and he walked Sharon to her door. "I had a great time with you tonight. Maybe we can do again sometime soon." David said. Before she went into her house, David planted a kiss on her cheek." Sharon blushed a little bit but she didn't mind the kiss. David left in his fire engine red 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray convertible and he headed home. While David was heading towards his house, he thought about Sharon and even though he hadn't known her for a long time, he felt like he had known her for a long time. David got home and before he sat down in his wooden rocking chair, he grabbed his grandmother's Bible off his bookshelf. His grandmother gave him her Bible, a few weeks before she had a stroke. He flipped opened to the book of John. He started to read, when he got to chapter three, he started to read it out loud.
"There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved."
He had read these verses before when he was a child, but he didn't understand what it was saying. But this time he fully understand it. He realized that he had something in common with Nicodemus. Both he and Nicodemus were both guilty of trying to do everything perfect and do what they thought was right. David realized that he needed to have a relationship with Jesus. So at the age of twenty, David got on his knees in front of his bed and he prayed to receive Christ. After he finished praying, he didn't feel any differently, but knew that he was different. The next day, which was a Wednesday, he got up and went to work. He had started working at Shipley's Hardware Store. While he was working, Sharon walked into the store, while David was restocking the shelves. He hadn't seen Sharon since their date at Holden's.
But while she was in the store, he decided he was going to ask her to go on another date with him.
He walked around the corner where Sharon was standing. She was looking at the different colors of blue paint. She turned around when she saw him coming around the corner. " Hello David, I didn't know that you worked here. I am going to paint my living room and I can't decide between periwinkle and sky blue. Which color do you prefer?" David briefly thought about, "I like the periwinkle, it matches with your eyes" Sharon started to blush furiously. " I actually came over here, to ask you on a date. I was wondering if you would like to go to have a picnic at Woodland Park on Friday? It is supposed to be a beautiful day that day." Sharon thought about it for a moment. "Of course, I will go on a date with you, David." So on Friday, David picked up Sharon and they went to the park. Sharon had baked an apple pie and she had made fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. It was a warm breezy April day. The couple arrived at the park around 11 in the morning. David loved going to the park and liked sitting under the big red oak trees. He decided that after this date, he was going to go and start looking for an engagement ring for Sharon. But he didn't plan on proposing until later that year. He loved just sitting and talking to Sharon. David felt like he had known her all his life. He wanted to tell her about his life before he meet her. But he wasn't sure how she would react. He continued on talking to Sharon for a few hours. Around 1 o'clock, after they had finished eating, the couple decided to go on a walk around the park. The couple for about a hour until it started to rain. David and Sharon sprinted back to his car. While they were running, Sharon slipped and fell face first into a puddle of water that was pooling around the Corvette. David stopped running and he ran over toward her. When he got to her, he noticed that she wasn't moving. He started to roll her over, when she sat up and playfully splashed him in the face. David was stunned but he started to splash her back. This went on for a few seconds until they were both drenched water and mud. They both started laughing when they looked at each other. David drove Sharon home and after then he went home and he changed clothes. After he was all cleaned up, he headed to Joe Rosenberg's Jewelers to look for an engagement ring. When he got their, he parked on the street. He had never been to this jeweler before, but he knew that this was where his dad had bought his mother's engagement ring and his grandfather had bought his grandmother's ring here as well. David looked around for awhile, before he decided on a sapphire and diamond ring. The ring had a sapphire in the middle of the ring and diamonds on the outside of the ring. David paid $500 for the ring and he put it in his coat pocket.

Sorry I didn't finish the story. I am planning on finishing this storyline in the next chapter.

Joe Rosenberg's Jewelers is a real jewelry store in Lexington, Ky. It has been around since 1896.