Thirteen

"Moments are the only thing our brains bother to retain. What we do remember about the past is not a memory but a moment we had. Hence why we still remember it."-Blind®️ Founders, Roven & Dexter Ilit©️

Frazzled by time Freya resembled an escaped patient from bedlam who decided the evening rush hour trains were the best mode of transportation out.

Called unexpectedly by Lance himself Freya had no choice but to stop her preparations and leave.

Now at the most prestigious UK business corporation, Freya had nothing to show except for a half done braided updo and a makeup-less freshly washed speckled canvas of a face.

Viewing her phone she calculated the minutes in her head of exactly how much time she had left and how much she knew the meeting was going to take.

Finding the answer Freya did not like the negative sum.

She simply would not make it in time all because of her unable employer who could somehow run a management based company but was unable to manage his own personal problems.

Waiting for the elevator Freya noticed Gwen passing by with a tray of freshly purchased coffee or caffeine with a tad of sweetness as she preferred to call it.

While continuing on her way she handed Freya the little brown paper bag she managed to bring back from her coffee run.

Holding onto it with only her middle and ring finger, gripping the seal underneath the recyclable trays balanced equally in each hand.

Freya was grateful for such an understanding and wonderful work associate.

During the rushing train ride commute, Freya was too caught up in the moment that she ignored her stomach's requests for food.

She should have been at the Tembers now, a fresh stirred plate of overly priced pasta on a ceramic plate.

"Herd you got summoned by the devil and I was thinking you'd need this." She smiled, "Eat up your not you when you're hungry. "

"Then you should have brought me Snickers bar," Freya laughed easing out of her tense state for a moment accepting the offer.

Life was all moments nothing more nothing less.

Pulling out one of the cups Gwen made her first stop on her route on the coffee run.

Parting Freya with a delicious steaming cup of organic brewed coffee from the small little kiosk next door.

The Coffee Box was also apart of one of the small businesses managed by Heyes enterprises.

Well in hindsight it is the only small business run by Heyes Enterprises, the rest were much larger.

Surprisingly Freya's nitwit of a boss and Oxford graduate's company managed to make up a mouth widening part of UK's economy.

Waiting for the elevator Freya slowly sipped the lung warming brew and ripped off bits and pieces of the carrot muffin Gwen had given her into mouth-sized portions.

This was to avoid ingesting any of the honey-lemon chapstick Freya had applied on before leaving.

She hadn't had any time for an actual lipstick.

***

Freya's first week on the job included her digesting little more lipsticks than food.

Anyhow, this had caused her to partake in another Sephora shopping exposition for the waterproof kind.

Longer lasting and better looking.

It also had a much larger sum, meaning it had to be better, right?

Waterproof lipstick was also a simple hack for avoiding unwanted red teeth that is not related to the variety of alcohol 🍷 a person chooses to consume.

Not all cosmetics are bad, Freya summed up, whilst viewing her current reflection in the silver vase placed elegantly on a cloth table in the gap between the two main functioning elevators in the building.

Hearing the ding Freya looked up and entered the open elevator checking her phone for an update on the time.

Left surprised to see she was going to be five minutes early for her meeting.

But she let her surprise go. 

Although she was indeed early that meant nothing as she was still going to be late for her date.

The word early was expelled from Lance Heyes personal dictionary there was only on time or late and he, to put in the simplest context, despised the word late.

So in truth on time is what she needed to aim for.

Not early and certainly not late.

Curious and wanting to waste the falling sand in her hourglass Freya did the most childish thing imaginable to any adult and pressed all 31 buttons the elevator panel had to offer.

A fuzzy spark of joy taking place in her heart.

Now, this was fun.

Enjoying this childish action Freya allowed herself to grin like the joker in between sips of coffee.

Even allowing the sensation of a sugar rush partake her.

The elevator empty Freya set down her finished cup and started jumping around in the limited space.

In her hectic week, this was the only time she felt real happiness and even a little relief from all the stress that had been plaguing her mind.

Nearly at his office floor, Freya was suddenly jerked to a stop or well the elevator was.

Confused Freya surveyed the floor counter above the steel doors.

"Thirty." She said aloud.

Unbelievable, not only was Freya now stuck in the elevator but also she was going to be late.

Going with a reasonable idea Freya pressed the alarm button which alerted whoever was at the front desk that there was a problem with the elevator.

Screaming was going to get her nowhere.

Regretting not choosing the stairs Freya slid onto the ground with her back against the elevator.

Heyes Enterprises certainly had its faults but a nonfunctioning elevator was one Freya didn't expect.

In the end, the question Freya couldn't get out of her mind related to Lance himself was, "Which idiotic administrative allowed such a dependent and needy man to attend Oxford"

★★★

Word Count: 1270!

Exiled_Introvert 2017©️

Edited