Chapter 23

Milo decided to broach the Beta issue. With Carlton's people beginning to settle in to the area, after arriving the night before, he wanted to talk to Brogan about continuing on as Beta, if Leo and Yosi rejected the role.

"What would you think of being my Beta? Leo is away on his mission to find Angel and may not wish to return to his job when he gets back," Milo made himself clear. If Leo wanted to remain Beta, he would get that shot. But if he didn't, Brogan might want it instead. "And my current stand in, Yosi, never agreed to be a permanent replacement. I would like to offer you that job, if, and only if, Leo refused to return to his post," he explained.

"And I'm also going to ask you if you would be willing to be a permanent escort for Katarina, while she's pregnant and as she becomes a mother," he added in, recalling that he needed someone trustworthy for that job too. Brogan was as good as anyone.

"I would be honored Alpha. For both positions. I am here, if ever you need me," he promised.

Milo was pleased to hear it. They were just outside the Alpha house, watching the work going on in the forest clearing as families settled in. For some reason Brogan was distracted.

As soon as Milo realized it, he followed his gaze. He was watching Marlan, with an intense interest that was bordering on disturbing. He was curious, but not enough to say anything just yet.

When Marlan made his way across, a few moments later, he wasn't sure what to do. "How is our dear Katarina, Alpha? And your son, of course," Marlan asked politely.

"She is well, Marlan. Thank you for asking. Now that her abilities have been contained, she has no more pain," Milo told the truth. He knew that the young guy would understand how difficult it was for his little wolf not to use her abilities as freely as before. He nodded his agreement, glancing curiously at the silent Brogan, until Milo had enough. "Would you do me a favor and go visit her for me? I'd like to know if she's had any more visions," he asked.

"Of course, Alpha. And if she has, am I to find out what of or return so that you can go to her yourself?" Marlan asked sensibly.

Milo had the thought that the kid knew exactly what he was doing, so he smiled and watched him leave. As soon as he was out of earshot, Milo turned to Brogan.

"Why are you staring at him like that?" he wondered, wanting to know if there was something important he would need to know about Marlan. He really hoped it wasn't old pack rivalries or vendettas showing up, between the two packs. He wasn't sure how to deal with that yet.

"I've just realized that I've found my mate," Brogan answered, almost dreamily. He was staring ahead, not looking at anything in particular, as if in a daze.

"After all this time? Congratulations! Who is it?" Milo smiled and patted his arm in celebration.

"That boy."

"Marlan?"

"Yes...Marlan," Brogan smiled as he said his name, looking completely captivated.

Milo wasn't prepared for this. He was stunned and confused and beyond surprised.

Marlan was practically family to Katarina, as far as they both saw it and Brogan was as close to Carlton as a son. That made things rather complicated, but at least there was no blood relation. He felt a warning was in order.

"Brogan, Marlan is only sixteen. He can't know yet," Milo hated to ask it, but he did advise that Brogan kept his realization to himself. It wasn't uncommon for mates to find each other over great distances or to suddenly meet and realize what they were supposed to mean to each other.